Veracrypt problems in debian

Hi everybody
I hope that someone can spread some light on this problem. This problem relates to the installation of veracrypt in a debian 11 template and debian-based qube.

I download the veracrypt .deb folder and place it in the home directory of the template. It installs fine. It appears in the apps etc. So I close the template and then start up my one other app vm based on debian. Veracrypt appears there as it should but it won’t start. No matter what I do I can’t get veracrypt to run in either the template or the app vm. As I said, veracrypt appears in the qubes settings > applications, and its icon is also in the drop down box from the top left from where I can select what apps to launch for each qube.

Just what am I doing wrong? As far as I can see I am following all of the correct steps.

For the record I’ve tried installing it from the recommended .deb folder and the generic tarball installer. Both go through the motions but don’t run at the end of the installation.

Start veracrypt from terminal and see what errors will it give you.

It won’t start. From memory its the generic ‘cannot locate package’ or similar

So it seems to be missing dependency. Try to install missing package and run again.

Sure. But I have no idea to find out what that package is. How do I do that?

I will say that I am a long time user of veracrypt on debian, and have never run into this problem so its a mystery to me. I’ve always found veracrypt to be pretty straight forward actually.

Post the error here.

I will. Thanks. I look forward to seeing how this can be helped.

apt install --no-install-recommends libfuse2 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common

This is all that is needed to install Veracrypt in a debian-11-minimal TemplateVM.

OP doesnt say they are using a minimal template
In a standard debian-11 I have no problem in installing the veracrypt deb
and using it in qubes.

@fauster.
Can you confirm that you are using a vanilla debian-11 template, and
detail the steps you took to install the veracrypt deb?

I have only just now gotten around to solving this problem. Basically what I did was in a debian template was (normal template, not minimal)

sudo apt update
sudo dpkg -i veracrypt-1.25.9-Debian-11-amd64.deb

This returned error messages so then

sudo apt --fix-broken install
then

sudo apt install --no-install-recommends libfuse2 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common
then

I reinstalled veracrypt and shutdown the template and then it populated my other app vms as I launched them

Thank you for the solution that was provided. It didn’t work with just the --fix-broked command, it needed the next step. So thanks so much for taking the time.

1 Like