Various suspend problems

There are different problems regarding suspend in qubes. While trying solve mine, I got the impression, people had problems to find their specific issue and subsequently the right solution. Thats why we should collect the solutions here according to the system/platform.

Lets start …

Intel 11th Systems - Currently no solution, see Support for Intel Tiger Lake Processors · Issue #6411 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

Also it seems R4.1 in general has problems. Solutions?

1 Like

With Xen 4.14 (thus R4.1) there is a general problem regarding suspend/resume which seems almost solved for intel <=10th gen platforms. As workaround you can disable hyperthreading in BIOS or (re)enable it in xen by adding smt=on to xen options in grub. See Resume from suspending is broken after update to Xen 4.14 · Issue #6066 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

For Ryzen (4700, 5700 and 5850 confirmed, but probably all) that workaround does not help. It’s (probably) a different bug/issue, see PVH VMs does not start after resume · Issue #6859 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

4 Likes

@BigQ Thank you for pointing to the Github hyperthreading solution! Stumbling upon this thread means I can finally suspend my laptop after upgrading months ago to 4.1. I have only been able to sleep since then. But now suspend works again and I can close the lid!

1 Like

@BigQ this solved the suspend problem on my Dell Precision 5520 with 7th Gen Xeon. I disabled hyper-threading in bios. additionally I had to disable Trusted Execution in bios to allow hyper-threading to be disabled on my Dell.

Many Thanks

1 Like

for my x230, disabling hyper-threading in the bios solved the issue that it wouldn’t go into proper suspend, and then not wake up.

1 Like

Great to see that I could help!

I’m experiencing suspend problems as well, with the latest qubes and fully updated system. In my case I can’t even get the computer to suspend phase, it just keep working(fans) with black screen and non-responsive touchpad/keyboard. I use 8th gen mobile processor(i7 8565u) and tried to disable hyperthreading without any luck. I tried to shutdown all other VMs except the dom0 before suspending, didn’t help. I also tried to use hibernate instead of suspend, same results.

Is there anything else I can try before trying to update to the latest kernel?

P.S. I should probably mention that I do have problems with rebooting the system as well, but with rebooting I do get response from keyboard when I press a key(backlight).

Hibernation is not expected to work (yet):

Did you try this? Suspend/resume troubleshooting | Qubes OS

You may find that the latest kernel brings with it a range of other
faults.

If there are new suspend issues, we need a volunteer to update this list:

@fsflover Thank you for pointing to these resources. Didn’t know about hibernation and suspend troubleshooting section. The last paragraph of suspend troubleshooting helped me out(Suspend/resume troubleshooting | Qubes OS): adding mem_sleep_default=deep to kernel params. Such a relief. Thanks a lot.

@unman Yes, that’s why I checked if there’s anything I missed(I did) before going this way. Leaved it as last resort.

1 Like