Using a cellular 4g modem with Qubes

recently purchased a cellular modem from GLinet

new to this,
not sure what software i’ll need to make it work (calling & texting)
also can xfce restrict data usage?

what’s your setup

Looks like some good hardware, I’m looking for something similar for anonymous internet :wink:

I’d suspect that the easiest might be to get a tiny hub that goes along with it? See those are listed as bundles on Amazon

In general I always prefer to get whatever access I have parsed into Ethernet, but that is me of course…

Hopefully not for much longer :slight_smile:

As far as I can tell, the connection to your Qubes machine and the GLinet 4g modem is standard 802.11 wifi, so you shouldn’t need to install anything extra.

As for calling and texting, there are several, and it all comes down to personal preference. Although, I’m not quite sure how you’d be able to access call and text functions from a 4g-WAN/wifi-LAN hotspot from your computer…

No, but NetworkManager can. Right-click the nm-applet (The red network thing in the XFCE panel that you probably click on to connect to wifi networks) and click “Edit Connections…”.

You’ll find the answers you seek in there.

Depends on how I’m feeling. Either Tor, Double VPN, the LoRa antenna I planted in a computer at the local library, or a combination of all three :sunglasses:

1 Like

might wanna consider a sim from purism if you want 4g with no records.

hub for what purpose exactly? the modems can convert 4g to wifi also

Please tell more, google says it’s a 1G antenna, meaning its focus is on distance? Does that mean you redirect the library network? whats the range on that

currently i’m looking into completely cancelling my home internet plan and going full cellular

I hate to say it, but there is no such thing as “anonymous”, “no records”, “invisible”, or any of the buzzwords that are thrown around the internet by the general public. Especially, the term “unhackable”.

The only electronic devices that are truly “unhackable” are ones that do not have electricity running through them. Mind you, they’re also 100% unusable for anything, too :unamused:

Simply because of the fact that you’re using someone else’s infrastructure to communicate with the other party, there will always be a third party either participating in, or being in a position to witness and record the communication.

The best you can do is obfuscate that communication, so that it’s very very very difficult for them to figure out that it was you. Maybe even to the point of it being so difficult that they won’t even bother trying…

Once quantum networking via entanglement becomes a thing, that might change (just adding this in for completeness :wink:)

Incriminating myself on a public forum? Sure! Why not!

DISCLAIMER: I do not advocate anyone doing anything to someone else’s property, especially when they do not have explicit consent. This was many many years ago, and I’m actually surprised that it’s still there and operational :woozy_face:

Yes. Awful speed (1.5-40kb/s), but can go a long way (like 10km). Think AM radio. Terrible sound quality, but you don’t need as many towers.

No :rofl:
It just means that outgoing requests (like DNS) can be routed through their network. I’m not interested in “taking down” a place of knowledge and learning that benefits the general public.

If you are going to engage in cybercrimes, there are things that you never touch:

• Critical infrastructure at Hospitals
    • Don’t play with people’s lives!
  • Archives at Libraries
    • Don’t lose important reminders of history, and have bad things repeat themselves!
  • Research at Universities
    • Don’t destroy innovation, especially stuff that could benefit the planet! At least make a copy!
  • Anything that actually impartially benefits the general public, with the intention of being unilaterally accessible to everyone

Ah, cancelling an internet connection where they know the exact location of the node, to an internet connection that shouts at the top of its lungs in all directions “I AM HERE!” so they can triangulate your position, and usually does not allow port forwarding?

I like your style…

(No offence meant by any of this, I promise. It’s all in fun. As long as you keep in mind that the only true way you can “hide yourself online” is by not using the internet at all, you’ll be fine :smile:)

To many replies here.

Anonymous internet? In most cases its pseudonymous at best, but using Monero to pay for silent.link & running a laptop bought cash in meatspace to then do completely separate things on say a VPS would be anonymous for practical purposes.

Ethernet is a choice for me going onwards, there is a clear pattern of getting better sleep with wifi & phones off, also want to get better focus by working from an actual desk ++

Oh and as a related thing: get as many non-KYC sim cards as you can now before around 2025 :wink: Can still get them on Ebay & refill using crypto

Would they still get the IMEI of the modem and be able to use cell tower information and single triangulation to obtain your physical location?

Yes they’d get data on which highrise with hundreds of condos in that its originating from.

Then the next day another highrise and so on :wink:

Personally I’m not doing nor planning anything where I’d need that level of opsec, but with the censorship levels in some formerly free countries that we experience now I’ll keep it as a worst case option…

Btw I guess someone could set up a network of these where traffic is spread around as with Tor, signals running through the separate points at random…

What would be your best practice or solution if you need to be as anonymous as you can possibly be?

All they need is a law enforcement officer with a camera doing surveillance, and they just need two matching photos of you leaving the buildings, and you risk getting arrested.

Silent.link gives what is essentially an unlisted number, it’s just a way to prevent other people or companies from obtaining your name and address through phone records. I consider this to be privacy and not anonymity.

I don’t think this is going to give you internet anonymity in any meaningful way, you would still need to use Tor.

Of course using Tor would be instrumental, but on top of precautions like this.

So, are you implying that Tor over whatever network is safe even if someone are putting this kind of effort into identifying you?

I would by far prefer to at least do what I can to use an anonymous point of access when it comes to the network access and then do hops & Tor on top of that…

I feel the same, but when you are in a city, you’re surrounded. Look into slnt.com
their bags/cases completely block all cellular and wifi, at least for your own devices.

at least when it comes to glinet modems, you can change the IMEI if you know what you’re doing. everything is open source.

1 Like

I guess you could change the IMEI after each use, but I still think you would be identified by the IMSI from the SIM.

well that’s the sacrifice with cellular, the sim needs a contract. best you can do is purchase a plan with obfuscated records.

even if your ip is ever leaked, you have a strong case if you dispose of the sim before the arrest

stay silent, 10 toes down

You need very strict opsec for it to make a difference, buying a wireless modem and using it at home is pretty much the same as using wired internet, and if you are using it in random locations you need to worry about all the video surveillance.

It’s a somewhat expensive solution that to me seems like the equivalent of using free internet at McDonald’s while hiding in a bush.

2 Likes

The complexity of really strict opsec boggles the mind, no doubt! :slight_smile:

Although I do not need that level myself I keep thinking about ways to get real serious simply because I hate surveillance and big data corps snooping on me…

I’ve found one way of getting & leaving a mobile device online which I think would be super secure here where things are more relaxed than in the West:

At one of the condos in the family there is an open wifi point at the lobby, which is 10 meters away from the motorcycle parking. I’ve got a couple of old motorbikes that have never been connected to my name at all, bought cash on the streets.

Chuck a largish battery in there & leave it, then use that as a scripted unit to do whatever.

But yeah, there is also hiding in bushes :wink:

@ssssss , I believe I may have spoken too soon.

Yes, it would seem that most 4g modems would be external, but I have since acquired several Dell Latitude E7250 laptops that all come with built-in LTE modems and a little SIM card slot inside the battery compartment.

If it is PCI, then I don’t see how it would be any different than a Wi-Fi PCI controller.

If it is USB, then it could be passed through to sys-net from sys-usb.

I will experiment and report back (even though you can probably work out the results already :stuck_out_tongue:).

3 Likes

I hadn’t considered that. You are definitely correct, and I look forward to your results :slight_smile:

1 Like

renehoj, can you give us, in your opinion, a more detailed description of getting online anonymously?

It depends on why you want to hide your identity, and who you are trying to hide it from.

For most people, using Tor is enough, buying cellular modems and expensive data service with crypto doesn’t really do anything.

1 Like

Gee, I was hoping for someone to start a wiki page on -Do it this way --because these other ways have security flaws.

Minimum Privacy concern is avoiding surveillance Capitalism. Next being Hiding my own bank account, personal financial business from those who have some access to my life.

Then hiding a secret part of my life. Like I don’t want my wife to know. (Hey guys, I will tell my wife I am going to have a few with a school buddy. See you at the bowling alley. I got my new bowling shoes.) Or some other personally scheduled event.

Next level is, I am in a competitive business. I have rivals for whom even my personal schedule I would like to keep out of their knowledge.

Higher level, I am a victim of culture, government, some kind of power structure. I might be reporting. I might simply want to have a sense of support. Like to talk with someone who says. "Yes, I believe that might be possible. Tell me what options you see. Maybe you can make a decision for yourself on this.’

To I agree with the goal of governments, or whoever the power structure is is wrong. I would like to be ready to work without their interference, I want to prepare for that a level of security (best possible) , maybe to help someone else with a true human rights, government harassment challenge.

The reason these kinds of guides are a thankless task, is that almost as soon as someone really knowledgeable, (surely someone who knows more than me), stops typing the guide. Something important happens in technology, and the guide becomes a danger.

The other thought being, I would not want to be he guy who gave someone advice on how to, and he get caught (presuming he is doing something I consider ethical.) miss-treated, jailed, or killed.

Then again, do any of us really know anyone who has problems on that highest level of personal fear?

And the organizations they are afraid of, are like secret police. Once you are on their list, and they decide they want to know what you know. They aren’t worried about breaking no crypto. What they break is people. No computer training, experience needed to break people.

I had hoped to tempt someone into writing a wiki Op-Sec for the highest level of fear.

I think some Christians in the US hope for government repression. Like ‘Left Behind’ books and movies. Give their life, faith more meaning.

1 Like