Use of USB C 3.2 and Thunderbolt ports

I have a couple of questions before purchasing a new laptop, since most new ones have only two kinds of ports:

• USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C (with DisplayPort)
  • Thunderbolt 4 (USB 3.2 Gen 2)
  1. Can I hotplug the video output cable in the non-thunderbolt type-C port?
  2. Can I hotplug usb C devices in the non-thunderbolt type-C port?
  3. If the answer to #2 is no, can I leave an adapter plugged in and just change the device connected to the adapter?
  4. Will I need to connect the PCI bridge to dom0 or sys-usb?

@aholden @HPOA909 I’m sorry to disturb you with a ping but I see that you’ve gone through something similar here Trying to use the usb ports on a thunderbolt dock - #15 by aholden and I was hoping you could shine some light.
Thank you in advance

In my laptop it has USB-C 3.2 Gen 1 (data transfer / DP 1.2 only), and it could do #1, doesn’t have #2 and #3, for #4 I’ll check tomorrow, but i think it wont do if you passthrough the usb ctrl.

2 Likes

I think USB C may recognize DP if you have the right tools to do such a thing. For that reasons, it connects to sys-usb as been recognize by dom0 and it is part of the PCI(e) slot for the laptop. In my setup, I connected the Thunderbolt 4 dongle to my laptop and the other ports used as monitor extension and for USB hubs only.

Thanks a lot, let me know the results if you have some spare time to test it.

So assuming that you leave the hub connected and never disconnect it after boot, are you able to hotplug usb drives to it?