USB-C port doesn't work if nothing is connected at boot

Thinkpad P51, which has one USB-C 3.1 port (Thunderbolt 3).
Qubes OS 4.2 fresh install.

If no device is connected to the USB-C port at the time of boot, then a flash drive or USB-C hub is not discovered when connecting it after the OS has started.

However, if a flash drive is connected at the time of boot, then it is shown in the list of devices, then it works fine, and I can attach it do individual VMs.

The following surprises me most: If an USB-C hub was connected to USB-C at the time of boot, then it works to hot-plug flash drives at Qubes runtime.

I wonder if there is a plausible explanation of this behavior, or if it seems like a hardware/BIOS bug.

I haven’t yet tried to boot a live USB system on that laptop, to check whether the behavior is the same with other Linux flavors.

Check the BIOS settings, there may be an option to only init the USB devices on boot time.

USB-A ports already work fine.
Only USB-C has that behavior.

Are there any options in BIOS related to Thunderbolt or USB-C specifically?

USB-A and USB-C are controlled independently. Read user manual. Snippet below . . .

After you install another operating system, you can enable the Thunderbolt 3 technology in ThinkPad Setup by doing the following:

1. Restart the computer and press F1 when the logo screen is displayed.
2. Select Config ➙ Thunderbolt™ 3 ➙ Security level.
3. Change the settings from Display Port and USB to any other selection.