USB Audio Interface Shows Up as USB-Device, Won't Show in Audio Configuration under Dom0 (pavucontrol)

I have a USB audio interface that is often linux compatible. When I plug it in, it shows up as a USB audio device, but it doesn’t show up in the pavucontrol configuration section.

I don’t know if this means its not compatible or if I just need to type a command into dom0 terminal to fix it.

Did you have a look here: Using External Audio Devices?

1 Like

I did see this, but was confused by it. Does this mean I can’t add a USB audio device in Dom0 itself? When I hear audio normally, I can see it registering in the pavucontrol configuration. Will this add the interface to Dom0 as well? Does this only work with Fedora?

I wanted to use Debian as well.

Also, I am using some Windows qubes now with Windows Tools. There’s no terminal for that and I don’t think I can use anything not listed as a Dom0 interface in the configuration. It’s important to me to have audio in the Windows configuration. I can hear, but have no mic input.

Someone suggested one type of USB interface I could use that works well with Qubes, but would I run into the same problem?

Someone say to me in different question that when you hook up an external audio card, it does not show in dom0.

Does this mean I can’t add a USB audio device in Dom0 itself?

I am not sure. Maybe it works if dom0 handles USB. Do you use sys-usb?
In that case the USB devices are not visible to dom0.

It’s important to me to have audio in the Windows configuration. I
can hear, but have no mic input.

That’s my use case for a USB audio device. I attach one of the USB
controllers (I hope you have more than one) to the Windows VM and then
plugin the USB audio device to a port belonging to that controller.

Someone suggested one type of USB interface I could use that works
well with Qubes, but would I run into the same problem?

Yes you would.