Updating snap-installed software

@airelemental do you know if qubes-snapd-helper deals with updates via the regular Qubes Update? If so, this is probably the best way to install discord. Otherwise the user will be missing updates and probably forget do to them manually.

1 Like

I think snap is auto-updating. In fact, there is no built-in way to turn auto-updates off, by design. (I don’t like snap much).

I don’t think that is accurate. Remember, snap doesn’t have access to the internet on the TemplateVM. My assumption is that qubes-snapd-helper does that. But I don’t know how it handles the updates: if it updates when updating the VM via the Qubes Update application or not.

I couldn’t find any documentation on this.

edit: I think I just found what I was looking for. There is a section on this on the docs:

particularly:

[…] At this point the snap will be persistent within the AppVM and will receive updates when the AppVM is running.

2 Likes

You can update snaps in AppVM and then move them to TemplateVM:
In AppVM:
sudo qvm-copy /var/lib/snapd/assertions/ /var/lib/snapd/snaps/
In TemplateVM:
sudo cp -r QubesIncoming/appvm/* /var/lib/snapd/.
rm -rf QubesIncoming/appvm/*
sudo chown -R root:root /var/lib/snapd/

You can also disable auto updates in TemplateVM:
sudo snap set system refresh.metered=hold

Hi. What’s the use-case for wanting to do this?

1 Like

I have multiple AppVMs and when I start them the snapd will automatically download and update the snaps on each AppVM individually. This will eat up all of my bandwidth. And when I restart the AppVMs they’ll start updating once again.

Uh. That’s not good. And the qubes-snapd-helper does not stop that? If that’s the case, it might be a bug. I’d expect it to only update them on the templates.

1 Like

My bad, didn’t know about this package, qubes-snapd-helper seems to work just fine, thanks.

1 Like