Updating dom0 fails with assertion

I can not update dom0 using qubes OS updater. These are the errors when updating

Updating dom0...
Detailed information will be displayed after update.
dom0 does not support in-progress update information.
Error on updating dom0: Command '['sudo', 'qubesctl', '--dom0-only', '--no-color', 'pkg.upgrade', 'refresh=True']' returned non-zero exit status 1.
[ERROR   ] Command 'systemd-run' failed with return code: 134
[ERROR   ] stdout: e[0;31m0 files removed
e[0m
[ERROR   ] stderr: Running scope as unit: run-r7de24a29fd374156a6eb0bda1427c894.scope
Using sys-whonix as UpdateVM to download updates for Dom0; this may take some time...
warning: Converting database from sqlite to bdb backend
Unable to detect release version (use '--releasever' to specify release version)
python3: ./libdnf/dnf-sack.cpp:723: gboolean load_yum_repo(DnfSack*, HyRepo, GError**): Assertion `fp_primary' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)
[ERROR   ] retcode: 134
Error running 'pkg.upgrade': Problem encountered upgrading packages. Additional info follows:

changes:
    ----------
result:
    ----------
    pid:
    retcode:
    stderr:
        Running scope as unit: run-r7de24a29fd374156a6eb0bda1427c894.scope
        Using sys-whonix as UpdateVM to download updates for Dom0; this may take some time...
        warning: Converting database from sqlite to bdb backend
        Unable to detect release version (use '--releasever' to specify release version)
        python3: ./libdnf/dnf-sack.cpp:723: gboolean load_yum_repo(DnfSack*, HyRepo, GError**): Assertion `fp_primary' failed.
        Aborted (core dumped)
    stdout:
        0 files removed

It looks like you are using whonix for your system updates.
AFAIK, this means that you have to start sys-whonix and establish tor connection before updating.

Did you start sys-whonix beforehand?

Maybe you are interested in:

Hi! I did start sys-whonix beforehand I am also able to access tor through it so that does not seem to be the issue.
However currently my updater just hangs when I try to update dom0, so it’s not even failing it’s just going on forever.

This seems to have been resolved by just updating using sudo qubes-dom0-update however it keeps telling me that it’s converting the sqlite database to bdb. It seems to do this everytime I update. Not only that the CLI also hangs until I do ctrl-C on it (although the update seems to be complete). Does anyone know why for either of these questions?

Sorry, can’t help with that but good luck :slight_smile: