UEFI Support on x230

Is the default UEFI firmware supported on the x230 ?
I manually readded the boot entry via efibootmgr, but it still doesn’t work. It boots the installer, but not the installed os. I don’t get any errors, it just throws me back instantly to the boot selection menu.

I have an X 230 which I have installed QUBES 4.0.3 onto, which is a slightly earlier version than what the download is now. I doubt if that makes any difference.

My first thought is what else is set in Firmware? You have to have set on the features to use Virtual machines?. Second I would just try to install in Legacy mode.

What exactly is your hardware? What is your Processor? How much RAM? What is the Drive? Has the the drive, I am guessing SSD been used before? I ask that because some brand new SSD’s can be tetchy the first time the computer sees them. and simply not recognize their presence.

The install can stop at some points and seem to hang, just have to let it process on for several hours. Please keep in mind it is effectively installing several Operating Systems (in sequence)

Still it should get further than the boot screen. Are you trying to have QUBES and something else on the same hard drive? Security would suggest that QUBES should be alone, else another OS could used as an attack surface against the boot, some other things, corrupt the Security of QUBES, also make the install Problematic.

The other thing, do not do what I did, do not upgrade the BIOS/EFI Firmware to the later versions pushed by Lenovo, and Intel. The later versions lock the Firmware, so it can not be changed. and Whitelist the Wireless Adapter. By that, one can not change the Wireless Adapter else the computer will not boot at all. The Wireless Adapter that is originally provided with an X230 is part of what Intel Processors can phone home to the Intel Mother ship and change the code in main Intel Processor.

One of the nice features to the X230 is how easy it is to install another drive, SSD or hard drive. Coupled with the low prices of the a small SSD, maybe twenty five dollars. An SSD that is big enough to run QUBES. As you might have noticed one removes the battery, hold the power button down for several seconds to discharge all the power inside. Then small screw driver to release the drive. Slide it out, change rails. reverse.

I also had problems doing the first install, having problems with settings in Firmware. My lack of patience. I temporarily switched over and tried to install several linux Distros to make sure every thing was working on a refurbished laptop. Ubuntu. then Fedora, as it is similar installer, and gave me a sense of what is going on.

Someplace in there I installed Windows 10, enough to get the Windows 10 Activation code saved in Firmware, as it was free. That was when I did the big stupid and upgraded the Firmware. What I intended was to make sure the SSD would take a format, as Windows talks with all hardware, and the first time an SSD is in a device requires some kind of communication between the SSD and basic firmware. I think, and I am usually wrong, that the SSD needs to have some kind of its own Settings initiated.

I have hopes some one more knowledgeable than myself can come along and help you more clearly and succinctly.

As I would guess you noticed, Qubes install will not work if the virtualization must be enabled; but I do not know where it stops or what it says. Error Messages at the firmware level might not be obvious. Which is why I tried Ubuntu first, as it does not require Virtualization to be enabled.

The X 230 will likely work, if you have enough time and patience to get through the process.

This is clearly a problem with the efi binary or the firmware. The disk works correctly, and the os boots and is usable in legacy boot mode.