Tuxedo Pulse 14 Gen 1

Remarks

Fans are very loud because you can not change the fan profile!

This means that the fans will constantly spin at >50% the moment the temperature will rise above ~68 degree Celsius (which is pretty much all the time).
This is the most annoying thing you can imagine and I do not recommend to buy a Tuxedo Pulse 14 because of that.
Tuxedo offers a “Control Center” which can set new fan profiles. But you definitely do not want to install this in dom0 (badly maintained, >64 unfixed vulnerabilities, needs npm).
BIOS settings are ignored in this regard.

Sleep (S3) does not work at the moment likely because of this bug.

HCL

Qubes release 4.1 (R4.1)

Brand: TUXEDO
Model: TUXEDO Pulse 14 Gen1
BIOS: N.1.07.A03

Xen: 4.14.3
Kernel: 5.15.14-1

RAM: 32171 Mb

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics
Chipset:
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Root Complex [1022:1630]
VGA:
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Renoir [1002:1636] (rev c6) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Net:
Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (rev 1a)
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)

SCSI:

HVM: Active
I/O MMU: Active
HAP/SLAT: Yes
TPM: Device not found
Remapping: yes

Attachments

Qubes-HCL-TUXEDO-TUXEDO_Pulse_14_Gen1-20220220-095426.yml (867 Bytes)

1 Like

Thank you @wqpw for your HCL report, which is online now.

Hey, i just got mine and you can find settings in the Bios for low,med,high temp settings with corresponding fan levels to set.
I will need to do some research before doing this though but did you try the Bios settings?
When you say BIOS settings are ignored, you tested manual settings and they do not work when qubes is installed?

ps no idea how i missed your post when i was shopping few weeks ago

@mono Yes, I tested them and unfortunately they did not make a difference for me. Asking the Tuxedo support about it they said I should use the Tuxedo Control Center (which we can’t as Qubes users).

The fan noise does not make the laptop unusable. But if you work in the library you do others a favor if you have some distance between you and them.

If you have bought the Tuxedo notebook bag, don’t use it to lift up the laptop for better ventilation (as shown in the pictures). Simply place it on the table. This will silent the fan noise significantly.

1 Like

It is my understanding that thinkfan can be used with all laptops, not just ThinkPads. You have to do some work in identifying your sensors (just follow one of the many tutorials on the web) and setup your own fan profile.

sudo qubes-dom0-update thinkfan

1 Like