Troubleshooting T480S graphical glitches

Did you ever figure out this graphical glitch issue? I am also dealing with this issue on a T480S where if the cursor is on the bottom portion of the screen in certain spots the window freaks out. It’s literally the only major issue on this device I’ve ran into so far but is super annoying and for a daily driver feels janky to deal with.

This glitch went away after changing RAM sticks, what I did just to upgrade the available memory.

interesting, it’s been happening for me both before and after adding a new RAM stick. I can replicate the issue almost 100% by putting my mouse cursor to the far left of the display about an inch above the task task bar and it FREAKS out, the window jumps around overflowing to the other side of the screen etc. It also happens other random times almost always when the cursor is at the lower half the screen. It seems to be some kind of bug with window sizing or something. I’ve checked an unchecked a ton of setting in Windows manager etc to no avail. The only thing that stopped it happening was setting the display scaling to 1.5x but when i do that everything on about the left 2 inches of the display becomes unclickable so that’s not a fix either.

Sounds like the thing I had, but for me this seizure was happening, when the cursor was close to the bottom right corner instead.

I don’t know if that older RAM stick was faulty or just loose, that such a glitch was present, as well as sporadic problems, when the cursor started bouncing across the screen and moving on its own, which I at least could mitigate by turning off the touchpad as input device.

You wrote:

before and after adding a new RAM stick

What would happen if you unplugged the stick that was always there, before the new one has been added? Maybe then the glitching would go away. May be worth a shot.

So I’ve been messing with it all day, I’ve been able to get a “fix” working but there’s definitely something weird going on how it is set standard. It has something to do with scaling or something attached to it. Like i said previously if I set the scaling to 1.5x the issue went away but i could use a portion of the left part of the screen. I set a custom value at 1.1x and the issue has gone away and I’m unable to replicate it now. I noticed when the issue was happening that there were two horizontal dashed green lines one at the top of the screen and one about a quarter inch above the task bar that would flash when it was freaking out. It lead me to believe it has something to do with screen size/settings. So far I havent found a downside to setting the custom scaling at 1.1x but will continue to monitor.

As far as all this goes, I think we should ask the moderation team to split this glitch-related chat to a separate thread and file a bug report at qubes-issues.

I understand, how hard this can be to replicate, especially since it went away for me after changing the RAM sticks, but sometimes life’s just like that. After all, I can be the guinea pig when it comes to working with sys-gui-gpu, as it does work for me. :stuck_out_tongue: