Troubleshooting Installation of Windows 10 in Qubes OS

Hi,

at the moment I am trying to install Windows 10 following this instruction, link: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-vm/ . However Windows is not booting. After clicking on ”Boot from CDROM”. I get the following error-message:

Qube-Status: windows 10: Domain windows-10 has failed to start: Cannot connect to qrexec agent for 60 seconds, see /var/log/xen/console/guest-windows-10.log for details.

Has anyone an idea how to solve this? All help is appreciated. Thank you.

Best Knut von Walter

Hi! I’m not sure what the problem might be, but I just wanted to let you know that there is a documentation improvement that isn’t yet on the live website, but that may be helpful.

The latest version of that draft is available in:

Edit: This has now been merged onto the external documentation

The guide tells you the subtle differences between windows 7 and windows 10 as you go. You may also check out now the updated windows qubes tools page.

Make sure you’ve set the type of the qube to HVM with the ‘none’ kernel.

Hi,

I have read the documentation on this page,link: https://github.com/deeplow/qubes-doc/blob/gweck/patch-1/external/os-guides/windows/windows-vm.md . However I could not get more detailed instructions on how to set up a Windows 10 HVM standalone VM. Regarding my system I figured out, how to read the log-file of /var/log/xen/console/guest-windows-10.log. It gave me the error message: ” domain dead cannot connect to qrexec agent: No such file or directory ” I hope this can help somebody. In order that I can setup Windows 10 within Qubes OS.

Thank you.

Best Knut von Walter

I have done this.

@Samsara888, just letting you know that the documentation I referred to earlier has now been merged onto the external documentation. Find it here:

The guide tells you the subtle differences between windows 7 and windows 10 as you go. You may also check out now the updated windows qubes tools page.

I would suggest you try again with the finalized instructions and see if you still encounter the same problem. Sorry for being so generic but I don’t know much about windows inner workings.

Hi Knut!

There is a qrexec timeout setting in qvm-prefs of your new Windows VM that needs to be turned up considerably. The 60 seconds are not enough for Windows to boot far enough to have the service up and running. I actually set that to 600 seconds.

Regards, Frank

1 Like

Yes, I forgot about that. There is a step about increasing the qrexec timeout on the instructions. Hence my sugestion to repeat every step

Thank you so much for your precious help! Yesterday I managed to install Windows 10 in a Standalone VM successfully. Now I have to install Qubes Windows Tools.
Best Knut

1 Like

I had issues installing win10 if I used Rufus to create a bootable USB from the win10 ISO and wanted to start up from that one through “Boot from existing block device” > dom0: sdc.
But if I copied the ISO itself to a template VM and started it up through “Boot from file in qube” then I could install win10 without issues.

1 Like

Hi

Well I am happy with my Windows 10 configuration. However I still have problems with installing Qubes Tools for Windows 4.0.1.3, link: https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/usability-of-qubes-tools-for-windows-10/1075/6 . As far as step Nr. 8 everything is fine. But my GUI of Windows 10 is not starting afterwards. Do you have any solutions for this problem? All help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Stay healthy & safe

Best Knut