This seemed important: please no one touch Tor Control Panel / Anon Connection Wizard for a while (maybe a week or so, potentially longer). It is undergoing deep refactoring.
Does this affect Qubes?
This seemed important: please no one touch Tor Control Panel / Anon Connection Wizard for a while (maybe a week or so, potentially longer). It is undergoing deep refactoring.
Does this affect Qubes?
Well, it affects “Whonix” and I assume it affects Qubes-Whonix.
TLDR - The “Tor Control Panel” was updated and released without proper
testing. Dont touch it until the issues have been resolved.
I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.
When I comment in the Forum I speak for myself.
Maybe it should be properly announced when one should touch it and not touch it.
“I expect the code to change radically in the process, meaning that any changes made by humans or AI against the current codebase will be difficult to apply to the polished version. Therefore, please hold off on making changes to TCP/ACW until after this is complete. I will merge in any pending changes from @troubadour’s code before doing this.”
they are saying not to develop based on current codebase because they are refactoring it…
But @unman says they have already done that and released it without proper testing, i.e. the “don’t touch” now applies to the usage, not to development.
No, the “dont touch” refers to the code. The refactoring arises
because of the release with multiple issues.
I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.
When I comment in the Forum I speak for myself.
Thanks for explaining.
I think what I said still applies: how is one supposed to know that something has been released improperly and should not be touched, and when to touch it?
When the rebuild of these tools is complete (and existing bugs fixed),
they will be distributed in a new package, and installed on an update.
So there really isnt any need to tell users.
I assume when the refactoring is complete, a similar message will be
issued so that any one who wants to contribute can move forward with
the new code.
I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.
When I comment in the Forum I speak for myself.
you are reading a development subforum of the whonix forum, where all the discussion there is aimed at other developers, and the context is code development.
so if you are not a whonix developer, you do not need to act on what is being posted there.
Yes, I understand that. Just wanted to double check my sanity.
So, nothing “important” to worry about (on the user side).
As the person who wrote that post and is doing the refactoring, I just want to confirm what @michael said. Using Tor Control Panel is fine, I was just asking other developers internally to not make changes while I’m working on it.
Thanks for the feedback.