Testing qubes-gui-agent-linux v4.3.21

Hi guys,
recently qubes-gui-agent-linux received a patch that I was waiting for since almost half a year, which was tagged as v4.3.21. I’d like to test it, but somehow the corresponding package is not finding its way to the testing repository. There still version 4.3.20 is available. Wanted to ask if I have other ways than waiting to test this package in my debian VM?
I guess the reason for it not getting updated is that v4.3.20 is not yet released? Thanks!

You could try compiling it from source yourself.

Thanks for your quick answer!

Thought about it already but was not sure how complex it may become as it seems that the github repo includes multiple packages.

I have never compiled qubes packages myself, is there more to do than installing dependencies and calling “make”? Anything I have to to keep in mind? Plan to test it in an AppVM so a restart cleans the changed files, therefore I hope to not cause big issues :slight_smile:

Use qubes-builderv2 - you can do this easily enough using a custom
builder.yml to specify what you want to build and running ./qb package fetch prep build

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.
When I comment in the Forum I speak for myself.

Trying to build myself, but running into an issue:

Unsure why the distribution string changes suddenly… Not sure if this is related to my config… I have done everything as stated here:

Anybody faced this problem?

Thanks!

As an additional info:

I am using build.yml file based on example-configs/qubes-os-r4.3.yml and using this command line:

./qb -c gui-agent-linux -d vm-trixie package fetch prep build

Ok guys, figured it out:

when building qubes-gui-agent, you also need to build the dependencies:

./qb -c gui-agent-linux -c gui-common -c core-qubesdb -c core-vchan-xen -d vm-trixie package fetch prep build

With that all the packages have been build. Will try to replace them now and hope, that VM will still work :slight_smile:

Packages replaced in 3 VMs (for tests) and the first results look very promising! The shared memory is not increasing but is freed correctly when processes stop.

I’d like to thank you guys, especially the ones who figured out this issue. It bugged me since almost 6 months as I had to restart my VMs daily!

Will work with those libraries temporarily installed. If everyhing goes fine will update my template with those.

Thanks again!

Hi all,

all 3 VMs kept a constant memory consumption in shmem throughout the day without leaking, installed packages in template now.

Major issue solved for me, I am very happy, thanks again!

is this the sr-iov i915 dkms memory you’re talking about being solved ?

Yes, exactly. I also added a comment to the corresponding thread here in the forum.

thanks good to know! I’m in no rush so I’ll wait until they push the packages to the main channel

it’s now in the trixie-testing repo for qubes packages for debian so, easier to make a copy of your actual template / HVM and enable that repo in the new copy for testing. This will install version 4.3.21. I’d assume the same for the fedora repo