Systemctl status qubesd.dervive shows FAILED

Hello, Up until this morning my machine ran just fine. Did a normal shutdown last night, nothing memorable. Today when I boot up everything looks fine but the only thing that works is dom0. qubesd.service is definitely showing a failed status

systemctl status qubesd.dervive shows FAILED

Network Manager, no other service apps or vm’s will start.

I have a dom0 terminal but otherwise a useless machine? Any thoughts on how to fix this? qubesd definitely seems to be the root of this issue. How can I further diagnose the issue and show you screenshots without the ability to take screenshots on my working machine? :slight_smile:

Are there any hints about a reason in

/var/log/qubes/

or with

systemctl status qubesd -n50

?

Nothing in any logs that would make any sense to me

systemctl status qubesd -n50 shpws the same failed error as before .

Loaded: (/usr/lib/systemd/system/qubesd.service; enabled; vendor preset:enabled)
Active: Failed (Result: Exit Code) process 5433 ExecStart=/usr/bin/qubesd (code exited, status=1 FAILURE)

Pretty sure your issue comes from the faulty qubes-app-linux-usb-proxy package that was uploaded yesterday to current-testing.

To fix it:

Edit /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/qubesusbproxy/core3ext.py
Add import collections anywhere in with the other imports
Save and reboot

2 Likes

OPEN TO TIPS FROM LITERALLY ANYONE! haha

So this seems like a promising solution… one of which I’m not too confident in fixing myself.

I can find /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/qubesusbproxy/core3ext.py but I’m unsure exactly how to edit it and then somehow add it into any other collections it belongs in?

ANY further help would be very appreciated!

You can type this in the terminal:
sudo nano /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/qubesusbproxy/core3ext.py
Then you can edit it like in windows notepad.
When you finish editing, you can press Ctrl+s to save, and Ctrl+x to exit. Then you can reboot.

The reason that there’s no graphical text editor program in dom0 is that we hope to run as less as possible program in dom0.

Do you have any tips about what I’d need to edit to get my system working again?

LATEST INFO. When I type systemctl status into the dom0 terminal I get:

State: Degraded
Failed 6 Units
CGroup:/ user.slice
dbus broker.servoce
puldeaodio.service etc…

Same problem here, system is completely broken. Gonna check the tip from @DVM regarding the import and then report back.

EDIT: It worked :slight_smile: @daddycurbcheck follow these steps:

Open a dom0 shell and run
sudo nano /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/qubesusbproxy/core3ext.py

After the commented part, you will see a bunch of “import [something]” lines. Just add “import collections”, save (ctrl+x IIRC) and reboot.

Many thanks to DVM for the fix.

Not recommended, use sudoedit instead: sudoedit(8) - Linux manual page
If you want to use nano, export the variable: export SUDO_EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano

For a one-liner, see the solution here: How to edit a text file - #2 by BEBF738VD

3 Likes

I didn’t know that using sudo nano is not recommended, so thanks to you too for the information

Changed the title to (hopefully) a more helpful one

Just to update everyone: THIS DID INDEED FIX MY ISSUE! Thank you all for your help. I was away from my machine for a few days, so I didn’t get a chance to try the repair until now but it DID work. THANK YOU ALL!

Great. Please mark the post that resolved your issue as a solution so it could help other users too.

1 Like