Sys-usb template reinstall

Trying to re-install the sys-usb template based on the following resource:

https://qubes-doc-rst.readthedocs.io/de/latest/user/how-to-guides/how-to-reinstall-a-template.html

but an error message is returned in response to the command:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --action=reinstall sys-usb

Errors during downloading metadata for repository ‘qubes-dom0-cached’:

• Curl error (37): Couldn’t read a file:// for file:///var/lib/qubes/updates/repodata/repomd.xml [Couldn’t open file /var/lib/qubes/updates/repodata/repomd.xml]
    Error: Failed to download metadata for repo ‘qubes-dom0-cached’: Cannot download repomd.xml: Cannot download repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried

what is the correct template name for sys-usb in the Qubes repo?

There are specific instructions on creating a USB qube in the Qubes OS documentation. Have you followed these?

what I mean by that is, what is the correct name of the .rpm file in the Index of /r4.2/

templates-community directory

I already have a sys-usb VM but there is a package in there which is taking up way too much disk space and i can’t get the termianl to open. So the next step is to re-install.

edited

1 Like

There is not an RPM. The USB qube can be created using salt or manually. Follow the steps documented on USB qubes page.

1. Follow the directions to remove a USB qube
  2. Then, follow the above directions to create a USB qube.
  1. Are you receiving a specific error?
  2. Have you tried resizing the private storage space?

Ok thank you very much. When did they switch from fedora-36 to debian-11 for the sys-usb template?
Any particular reason for the switch?

I believe per @cayce’s earlier post that the salt setup uses your default template. So, the Qubes OS project has not switched anything on their end.

If you want or need a Fedora qube, then changed your default template or manually create the USB qube.

where is this salt formula code repo, are there other formulas in the Qubes git repo?

edited

I see that now; has anybody tried building the gui-VM?

I was thinking of user developer salt formulas or other formulas in the documentation as listed here:

https://first-test-run.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user/advanced-topics/salt.html