Sys-net not functional on kernel 5.x

That command doesn’t seem to bring ens6 UP
Using 5.4.88-1:

[user@sys-net ~]$ sudo ip link set dev ens6 up
[user@sys-net ~]$ ip address show dev ens6
3: ens6: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether ac:1f:6b:87:1a:23 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I also tried kernel 5.9.14-1

2: ens6: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN group default qlen 1000
altname enp0s6

And kernel 5.10.8-1

2: ens6: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN group default qlen 1000
altname enp0s6

Well that’s weird - it looks like ens6 and ens7 have swapped (the NO_CARRIER in the output of ip list show means there is no cable plugged in).

Just run the following to cover all cases :confounded:

sudo ip link set dev ens6 up
sudo ip link set dev ens7 up
ip address show
1 Like

I did multiple reboots to test this. The result was the same with all three 5.x kernels.

If I execute this line in sys-net with the kernel set to 5.x

sudo ip link set dev ens7 up

the entire qube immediately crashes. sys-net simply goes offline. There are no errors displayed. The terminal window disappears and qube state in Qube Manager goes from green to off.

It look like you have hit a bug (that command shouldn’t crash your VM). You may need to report it as a QubesOS issue as @deeplow suggested and hope that the QubesOS developers can track it down.

3 Likes

Thanks for helping me walk through that. I’ll look into the reporting.

A comment I posted related github issue:

I think this is another instance of missing multi-vector MSI support - see Re: [qubes-devel] Re: msi pci pass-through error with new Qualcomm AX500. I’m afraid this part won’t be added soon, but I will try to convince someone
to implement this part.

2 Likes

I see there’s a related issue on GitHub.

1 Like

I have a msi, too . Maybe that is the problem because my weird connection never works on that new kernels. Qubes 4.1 with kernel-latest is working atm for me, but only the wlan and I the problem with my wired connection is still pending and have no idea what to do.
thank you if anybody can give me a hint

but as update:
Qubes 4.1 with Kernel 5.10.16-1.fc32 has not that hanging on boot error and sys-net and sys-firewall is working again for my system. But the problem that only wireless is working still exists. What can that be and can I try to get my wired connection working again? And is there a way to make the wlan password persistent and not enter every reboot?