Sys-net not functional on kernel 5.x

After recent updates of Qubes where the kernel was switched to 5.x, sys-net stopped connecting to my network. I either get the spinning icon as it searched form a connection, or I simply get a message saying that I am disconnected. Only by switching the kernel of sys-net back to 4.19.155-1 was I able to restore connectivity.

My sys-net qube is based on Fedora 32, and has not been modified from the default install. The Qubes machine gets its IP from DHCP on my router.

I have these kernels available, none of which seem to work with sys-net:
5.4.88-1
5.9.14-1
5.10.8-1

I would like to get sys-net working on the newer kernel, but am not sure how to proceed.

Running Qubes 4.03 with all the latest updates.

2 Likes

Wow pr0xy thank you, you saved my bacon.

I had the same or similar issue — my wifi worked on boot but would not reconnect after sleep, although this could be fixed by restarting sys-net (a pain given all the vms that had to be shut down). This had been working fine previously.

I just tried switching sys-net to the same kernel you mentioned 4.19.155-1 from 5.4.88-1 and it works again.

If you or someone else needs help for debugging (e.g. network card type) I’m happy to go poking around if I get some help with the CLI-foo.

(I believe I am on the same Qubes version as you, by the way.)

1 Like

I’m glad that helped, but we still probably want to get sys-net working on the newer kernel before 4.x goes away.

1 Like

FYI, rather than shutting down all those qubes, you can use Qubes Manaager to just Kill sys-net and then Start it again.

Can someone track down on the qubes-issues if this has been reported? Only this way can the developers be made aware.

I’ve checked a bit but couldn’t really find it. In this case, it deserves to be submitted as a formal issue: (would someone volunteer for this task?)

I am running the qubes 4.1 alpha.iso and there sys-net is working with 5.4x kernel. and kernel-devel .5.10… but with kernel 5.9x I got the same problems and only wifi is working. conencting via wire don*t work. But this brings some hope that in future it will suppport the new kernels and working:)

1 Like

hi all, i had qubes running on several systems, from time to time after updates there were issues with wifi connction among other things…since i am using the latest kernel install I never had any issues…

1 Like

With Dom0 on kernel 5.10.8-1 I could not get sys-net to work with Ethernet on the same kernel (I don’t have WiFi on this workstation). Are you saying that on 4.1 Alpha that sys-net is is working with a 5.10.x kernel?

1 Like

yes on my alpha it is working with kernel- devel 5.10x. It was a update for about 3 days form the testing repo and I don’t notice that anything is not working after that update.

general:
Since this update Dom0 uses a own sys-firewall vm window to update it. And that is working, too. I only can repeat me and have to say that for alpha this is very good and “everything” is working u need for daily uses. I am running qubes 4.1 alpha since about 4 weeks without any problems for usual use. and doing there video chats in fedora 32 vm’s ,run office packages in a windows hvm -and everything is working like at qubes 4.0 before - some things maybe even better because I think the new fedora 32 fits better to some hardware and has more features for everyone. And my network was automtically working after installation and after every update, too and it immediately the realtek network card…And I am using sys-net/ sys-firewall as a dispVM - that I configured at the installation. enjoy ur weekend and stay healthy.

update 05-02-21
after the new testing update yesterday with kernel, kernel-vm and else. sys-net and sys-firewall are starting again and it is working like with the kernel 5.9.1.4-1 for me. Only my Wlan is working. Let’s see if I could get the wired connection working again at the weekend and then it looks much better as for a few days;) Definitely willl try to config sys-net as a usual vm, too. maybe that is point atm.
everybody with problems, that sys-net don*t start, try the testing update yesterday.
have a nice weekend.

another point is that u have to but the service network-manager to the the services. Then with the newest 5.11 kernel wlan ist working for me, otherwise there will be no network adapter in the system tray and I cannot set up any internet connection. With network manager enabled I see my Wirlesss Home network and can connect to it. A bit annoying is that it doesn’t save the pw and I have to write it after every restart. Maybe there is a solution for it?
But for the moment I thinkt the best will be to select an other kernel for that vm’s in the Qubes Manager like 5.4.9 then everything will working like before.
At those newest kernel it says that the device is not managed ethernet network vif 3.0 and ethernet network qualcom ahteros disconnected. But there is just a point to connect to a hidden wifi ,create a wifi or a vpn connection and nothing to set up a ethernet connection. Does the new 4.1 have a gui for network connections or how can I try to get my wired connection working? I am thankful for any hint. Maybe I need to attach the network card before or I don*t know ;…)

2 Likes

no. There a some problems I posted next. Qubes 4.1 is working with that kernel an u can select an older kernel for the sys-net vm*s like 5.4.9 is the newest one ,which everyhting is working. But maybe it is a problem of my devices and witth ur network card it will work. I will try to fix it for me at the weekend. If there is a stable and simple solution to get it working I will tell u asap.

After the latest Fedora 32 updates on Qubes 4.0.3 I tested all the available Linux kernels on sys-net. (Testing involves setting the kernel on sys-net and rebooting the machine; logging out is not sufficient) Unfortunately the results were the same. sys-net can only connect to my network using kernel 4.19.155-1 or earlier. None of these 5.x kernels will allow me to connect sys-net to my network:

• 5.4.88-1
  • 5.9.14-1
  • 5.10.8-1

For people who are having trouble with sys-net not working, it might be worth starting a Terminal in sys-net and running the following command:

lspci

This should show what network hardware you have, which might be a good starting point for working out what is broken.

[user@sys-net ~]$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II]
00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 IDE [Natoma/Triton II]
00:01.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
00:02.0 Unassigned class [ff80]: XenSource, Inc. Xen Platform Device (rev 01)
00:03.0 VGA compatible controller: Device 1234:1111 (rev 02)
00:04.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 10)
00:06.0 Ethernet controller: Aquantia Corp. AQC108 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] (rev 02)
00:07.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM

@pr0xy, ignore this question, I see you already mention that you are using a wired connection

redacted question

are you using a wired or wifi connection (I’m not sure if you already mention that)?

Can you run the following 2 commands in sys-net:

lspci -v -s 00:06.0
lspci -v -s 00:07.0

Thanks.

This is a wired desktop. No WiFi.

[user@sys-net ~]$ lspci -v -s 00:06.0
00:06.0 Ethernet controller: Aquantia Corp. AQC108 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] (rev 02)
Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Device d108
Physical Slot: 6
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 71
Memory at f2480000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Memory at f2496000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Memory at f2000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
Expansion ROM at f2400000 [disabled] [size=256K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: atlantic
lspci: Unable to load libkmod resources: error -12

and

[user@sys-net ~]$ lspci -v -s 00:07.0
Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Device 15b7
Physical Slot: 7
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 72
Memory at f2440000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
Kernel driver in use: e1000e

Can you rerun those lspci commands in a sys-net using the 5.4.88-1 kernel now? Thanks.

Here they are on kernel 5.4.88-1

[user@sys-net ~]$ lspci -v -s 00:06.0
Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Device d108
Physical Slot: 6
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 71
Memory at f2480000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Memory at f2496000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Memory at f2000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
Expansion ROM at f2400000 [disabled] [size=256K]
Kernel driver in use: atlantic

and

[user@sys-net ~]$ lspci -v -s 00:07.0
Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Device 15b7
Physical Slot: 7
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 72
Memory at f2440000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
Kernel driver in use: e1000e

Well the correct kernel modules seem to be loaded, which is a good start. I notice that you have 2 ethernet adapters, do they both not work?

In the 5.4.88-1 sys-net, can you please run ip link show

Thanks.

from the 5.4.88-1 kernel

[user@sys-net ~]$ ip link show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: ens6: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether ac:1f:6b:9e:8b:31 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: ens7: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether ac:1f:6b:87:1a:23 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: vif5.0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 32
    link/ether fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

On the functioning 4.19.155-1 kernel the same command:

[user@sys-net ~]$ ip link show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: ens7: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether ac:1f:6b:87:1a:23 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: ens6: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether ac:1f:6b:9e:8b:31 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: vif5.0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 32
5: vif11.0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 32
6: vif13.0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 32

The motherboard is an X11SRA from SuperMicro, and it does have 2 LAN ports. I am using the 5GbE port, which is the Aquantia Corp Ethernet controller. The second 1GbE RJ45 port is unused. I have not tested the other port as it is somewhat difficult to access.

Ok, so the network interface (ens6) is detected, but for some reason it’s DOWN under 5.4.88-1. Can you run the following commands in the 5.4.88-1 sys-net to (hopefully) bring it up.

sudo ip link set dev ens6 up
ip address show dev ens6
1 Like