Support of Terminology, Power, and Inclusive Language in Internet

Hello, does QubesOS team(top leaders) support https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-knodel-terminology-04

YES or NO?

I don’t know whether I count as a “top leader,” but since you’re asking whether individual team members support it, I will answer for only myself as an individual:

I agree in principle. That doesn’t mean I’ll necessarily agree every single time someone says that a particular term ought not to be used or used differently. Perhaps in many or even most cases I will, but I reserve the right to first understand and critically analyze the rationale behind any course of action before undertaking it. That’s why this topic is far too complex for a simple yes or no answer. I’ve encountered some persuasive arguments that have prompted me to change the way I use language, but I’ve also heard some terrible arguments that have not moved me to change. For me, it often comes down to common courtesy. I have no desire to say things in ways that are hurtful to others, and if there’s no good reason for me to say them in that way, then it’s perfectly reasonable for me to change the way I say them.

I only had time to take a brief look at the RFC, but, for what it’s worth, it sounds quite consistent with our Code of Conduct, which states:

Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment include:

• Using welcoming and inclusive language
  • […]

Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:

• The use of sexualized language or imagery and unwelcome sexual attention or advances
  • […]
2 Likes

Thank you Andrew for your comments on my question.
I understand that as a community manager you are standing for “everything good” and against “everything bad”.
And have to “cut sharp edges”.

Yet the problem of the knodel draft is exactly in making decision on what is Good and what is Bad.(and it is not about words it is about introduction and legalizing language policing).

That is why Im asking people responsible for decision making on this project. Will they support this document or stand against it.

This is important for me. As I want to know if it worthy to contribute my time and effort to this project.