I am trying to improve the user interface myself.
The improvements are as follows:
Fixing the dark mode
Adding the Catppuccin theme
Adding a window tiling mode
Adding a better settings application than the default Xfce one
Of course, including the ability to revert to the original state at the touch of a button
(I am not an expert and have limited time, so I cannot promise a near-term completion date)
(I am trying to develop the project in a way that the Qubes OS team might accept for integration)
Are there any other suggestions for improving the user interface?
Thank you for your suggestion; I will do my best to make it modern. I also welcome any more specific suggestions.
Yeah dark mode is probably way up there
Hi Ahmed_iMafraid!
I love dark mode.
I think fontsize/iconsize for high-resolution display is getting important. Some sort of professional use are with external display with very high-resolution. Some of recent models have high-resolution display. I confess I feel a need of a magnifier to read letters of some applications like Qube Manager.
I welcome modernization of Look and Feel.
Hello Tofu,
Thanks for sharing; I’ll do my best.
It is worth noting that I won’t be addressing the graphical interface issue related to high resolution, as—to my understanding—it is more closely linked to the transition to Wayland. (I don’t own a device with these specifications, so this is just what I gathered from my research; I welcome any clarification if I am mistaken.)
cool, I hope it’s minimal. Lots of these ‘Themes’ are massive,
Thanks for the reminder; I’ll follow your advice and try to keep everything to a minimum as possible.
HI Ahmed_iMafraid,
My issues are related with high-resolution but their solution should be universal.
Things wait for GUI way of control. ( I apologize lengthy description. )
- Changing font size, icon size of the menu bar of the desktop as well as the vertical height of the menu bar. Currently, I am using the scaling “2x”. I want more flexibility. The icon size does not automatically get adjusted to the height when I change DPI. This prevents me from continuous control. I believe the control by DPI is better than the fixed rate of scaling.
- The top frame of the window (with title indicating dom0/work/…) needs more flexibility. Currently, the theme Default-xhdip and Default-hdpi. But I feel the theme and the resolution are independent concepts. I wan the freedom to change the height (or width?) of the top frame of the window in any theme I choose. There are many reasons for larger font for the top frame: some people want the title bar for avoiding unwanted transfer of data across qubes; some people might have difficulty in visibility as they get older; sometimes, we demonstrate the use of Qubes OS through older projectors, we sometimes want to save bytes of photo of qubes with error messages.
- Applications have its menu bar. The height of such a menu bar should accept control. Currently, I have difficulty even in Qube Manager, Qubes Template Manager,… Of course, I cannot configure numerous applications. So, I need a rather centralized control in each Qube.
- We should be able to choose the font size of the content of the screen of application, for example, in the lines of qubes in the Qube Manager.
- Different defaults for the background color of windows by qubes help correct use of qubes. (Correctness in choosing the destination of global copy-paste, Correctness in typing in data like customer’s name.) I have a certain application of Qubes-OS in mind. An expert offers service to several organizations with different and possibly overlapping customers. Entering data of an organization in another is an issue, which we want Qubes-OS to prevent. The number of organizations depends on the expert.
- Docks for each of (some selection of ) qubes is a good idea. Each such qube should have docks with its own look and feel. Maybe the dock is to be associated with a collection of qubes, say organization1:work for transaction with the customer, organization1:untrusted for surfing through the internet. I think coupling or grouping qubes by special command for transfer of data is a nice way for avoiding mistakes in copy-paste.
- Completing configuration, we move into regular use, where dom0’s capability should be avoided. Disabling/enabling GUI access to dom0 helps some users. (This is like having different accounts for the administrator and the “user”, even when the PC is personal.)
- Improvement in some part of configuration of GUI saves overall labor of configuration of GUI. This is true even if the improvement saves labor in the other part than the user’s specific interest.
Thank you for sharing.
I found the post somewhat difficult to read (since I do not speak English and rely on Google Translate).
However, here is what I understood:
Adjusting general dimensions in Qubes OS, such as text, icons, and the taskbar.
A tool for controlling the graphical interface (a better settings application).
The post also included many details that helped clarify the nature of the problem.
There were some requests I did not understand, such as
Docks for each of (some selection of ) qubes is a good idea.
Disabling/enabling GUI access to dom0 helps some users
Different defaults for the background color of windows by qubes help correct use of qubes.
My comment:
I appreciate your contribution.
I will announce the development process model later, but in short: I will focus first on improving the default Qubes OS experience, then move on to enhancing customization options.
That said, I will try to find temporary solutions (manual workarounds via the terminal) for your issue.
Note: I would appreciate it if you could be concise and avoid going into tangential details—such as stories or the underlying reasons for your request—as I value all suggestions equally and do not require justifications.