Static address for sys-net -- "network manager" no longer allows network configuration in 4.1?

I went to change the DHCP address for sys-net (based on debian) into a static address, but was unable to find the network config:

root@sys-net:/etc/network# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
root@sys-net:/etc/network# ls /etc/network/interfaces.d/
root@sys-net:/etc/network# 

whereas i was expecting to find something like:

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Is there some service for a dhcp client that would need to be disabled via the qubes settings in the “services” tab?

You can open sys-net NetworkManager tray icon in dom0 and change network settings there.

1 Like

Cool. Thanks for your help

No joy on NetworkManager in 4.1

Right click (on “network manager”)->“edit connections”->“Wired connection 2”->changing to “manual” and setting a static address, then clicking save did not change the current ip address (which is DHCP)

opening it again shows the configuration did appear to save

doing “sudo poweroff” then starting the qube again seems to wipe all saved changes, giving the same DHCP address.

adding a “additional static address”, changing “general options”, and changing the name of a connection all seem to unsave after a reboot.

The unsaving is probably due to sys-net being a DispVM in 4.1 . Since sys-net shares a disposable template with sys-usb, i’m not sure where the sys-net specific information gets stored.

Do i need to undisposableize the sys-net VM somehow, then run the undisposabilized version, then make changes, then save, then shutdown then redisposableize it somehow?

Right click on NetworkManager applet in tray and uncheck Enable Networking.
Then right click on NetworkManager applet in tray and check Enable Networking.
This should reload config.

If you need to have static IP configuration than you need to use non-disposable sys-net:

You can use a named disposable for sys-* as long as it is stateless. For example, a sys-net using DHCP or sys-usb will work. In most cases sys-firewall will also work, even if you have configured app qube firewall rules. The only exception is if you require something like VM to VM communication and have manually edited iptables or other items directly inside the firewall app qube.

Disposable customization | Qubes OS
Or you can use some hacks in dom0 to manually set disposable sys-net config.