Split-browser DisposableVM shuts down immediately after start

I tried your split-browser solution, installed all the needed stuff in Fedora36-template and used fedora-36-dvm as default disp-vm for the new persistent-VM. When I start the Split Browser it starts the persistent-VM and after that as expected the DisposableVM which shuts down immediately after start. Any idea what goes wrong here?

I donā€™t know, I didnā€™t create that package. Youā€™re probably best off making a new post for that or read this other threat: Split-Browser Bookmarks, Logins & Browsers

What stuff exactly? Can you describe exactly each step you did to install and use it?

Not here please.

@deeplow could you split this digression into a new thread, please?
It started here: [Guide] Automatically install extensions and configure new (dispvm) Firefox profiles with arkenfox user.js and policies - #58

You could name it: split-browser issues on fedora-36

2 Likes

Donā€™t worry. Iā€™m just trying to summon the user, and later I planned to ask deeplow to split it.
Edit: Oh, you edit it while I was creating my post and both went to the same point.

Sorry for my laziness! So here are some details:

I followed the instructions given here:

qvm-create --label=purple surfer (this command is not exactly how it works, but the Qube Manager can do it )
qvm-prefs surfer default_dispvm fedora-36-dvm
qvm-prefs surfer netvm ā€˜ā€™

1. Installed the qubes-split-browser package into fedora-36 Template
  2. Installed the qubes-split-browser-disp package into fedora-36 Template

In my persistent ā€œSurfer-VMā€ I could then select the Split-Browser and ā€œSplit Browser Safestā€ launcher Shortcuts. The Surfer-VM uses the fedora-36 Template and fedora-36-dvm as default Disp-VM.

As I reported, when starting the Split Browser within Surfer-VM it starts and launches a dispVM which immediately shuts down again.

I was wondering if I left something out, which was not explicitly said within the installation description. What puzzled me: In the ā€œImplementationā€ section it says ā€œJavaScript on the Browser side (deployed as a [Mozilla AutoConfig]ā€. I could locate this sb.js file in the respective directory and wondered if it should be implemented in the firefox.cfg file along with the Autoconfig as described by mozilla. But that didnā€™t change anything. And thatā€™s only a guess, accompanied by my insecurity about the right folder for autoconfig and firefox.cfg.

So I hope these are sufficient details.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, you set up the same template as both the browser and the bookmark VM?

Iā€™ll paste from there what to check

Try this in your Firefox -dvm to configure it:

sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/split-browser-disp
sudo ln -s /etc/split-browser-disp/22-firefox.bash.EXAMPLE /usr/local/etc/split-browser-disp/22-firefox.bash
1 Like

Thanks, this was missing in my configuration. Now the disp-browser starts, but dew to
ā€œqvm-prefs surfer netvmā€ has no internet connection. The fedora36-dvm template as well per definition has none. Should I activate sys-firewall in the persistent vm?

1 Like

No, not the persistent VM. The -dvm is the one that you have to give network access, by setting its net qube to e.g. sys-firewall. The disp1234 running the browser will then inherit its network configuration from the -dvm.

Or if you prefer to keep your fedora-36-dvm offline (because youā€™re also using it for other things besides Split Browser), you could clone it to a new -dvm, give only the clone network access, and set your persistent VMā€™s default disposable template to the clone. For example:

qvm-clone fedora-36-dvm fedora-36-sb-dvm
qvm-prefs fedora-36-sb-dvm netvm sys-firewall
qvm-prefs surfer default_dispvm fedora-36-sb-dvm

Great. Please mark my post as a solution so it could help other users to, and may I suggest that you split (sic!) the topic with another issue too. that way not that others would find it easier, but would be able to fin it at all. Thanks.

P.S> I changed the topic title to reflect the specific issue more closely, but feel free to set it the way you like.

1 Like