Sound output cuts after a while. How to fix/get around it?

When I play anything sound plays for 5 seconds (sometimes a minute if I’m lucky) and then it cuts off making a “th” sound. I’ve had this issue with Arch and Solus too and can’t seem to get around it. I tried:

• I put the following in /etc/asound.conf
defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.pcm.device 0
defaults.ctl.card 0
  • I put the following in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
options snd-hda-intel model=auto

I don’t think these are related though. I don’t have a problem of not seeing the device. Someone told me that “cache is filled then not refilled when depleted” which I have no idea how to fix. It used to be that I would just use my headphones but now my audio jack is broken (quite literally).

Hi @prolixy. Welcome!

I think you’re not limited to bluetooth: there are also USB to audio jack converters (essentially external audio cards, I think).

And for audio via USB this (unofficial) documentation may be useful:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/external-audio/

(Disclaimer: I’ve never followed that guide, just trying to give some pointers here)

Also @prolixy, can I restate your issue as: “Audio Card Broken: other ways to get sound on qubes”

Great idea but I can’t really buy one right now.

My audio card may not be broken after all! I’ll edit the post to show my actual problem which is basically that the sound cuts after a while.
EDIT: Changed the post completely

1 Like

Bumping this thread to see if anyone knows any other things you can try.

Btw, there is dic

Just in case someone is reading this thread in the future and wants to try out the USB Headset alternative, check out the discussion Sys-usb requires what package for USB headsets?