Sound Does Not Work on Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 9th

sudo echo “options snd-intel-dspcfg dsp_driver=1” > /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf
3 Likes

Thats my solution, right!

Sorry, was busy this days. I “referred” the solution but should had clearer. Next time I will, promised;-)

1 Like

Perfect. Thank you for sharing. Marked that as the solution

Do you have working microphone with your solution?.. With sof-firmware you could have it.

All I need is one mic.

Do I need to “reverse” the command I called earlier in order to have both working? If so, how might I go about it?

I guess you could try install package with sof-firmware and remove string with option from

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf

If sof-firmware package is enough you will see internal microphone device in pavucontrol after reboot.
I don’t have X1C9 to test it, but it works with previous X1C7-8

I just reinstalled 4.1rc and the original solution doesnt work anymore. Any idea what I can change to get it going again?

Weird how it changed on me.

Look at point 2 in comment Support for Intel Tiger Lake Processors · Issue #6411 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

With Gen 8 devices installing sof firmware with alsa-ucm package is enough, but Tiger Lake looks newer than fedora 32 packages.

I got it. User error.The above solution still works.

Hello. I have a Carbon X1 Gen8 that I can’t get the internal microphone to work on. I have 4.0.4 installed. Have u succeeded to get the internal microphone to work, and how? Thank you.

You need newer kernel and alsa-sof-firmware package. I guess it is time to move to 4.1.

I had installed the latest kernel via Dom0, in Qubes 4.0.4. Are you suggesting that it’s impossible to get the latest kernel in 4.0.4?
As for alsa-sof-firmware, qubes-dom0-update says “Unable to find match”. Should it be installed in a template instead of Dom0?

Kernel-latest seems ok, but fedora 25 too old to get firmware from repos.

Hi !

Just installed Qubes 4.1 (kernel latest : 5.16.18-2.fc32.qubes.x86_64) on a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9 (20XW0055MB) and the solution worked perfectly ! I now can play music from qubes :smile:

Thank you very much !

1 Like

Can anyone point me out how to do this. The latest kernel I have available is 5.15.63-1.fc32.qubes. I am on Qubes OS 4.1.1 installed a few months ago. Still unable to get that microphone working.

Hi !

Check this : How to install software in dom0 | Qubes OS

Best regards,
John

1 Like

Did you have any luck getting the mic to work ?

Yes, switching to kernel-latest did the job.

Still got issues here, on kernel 6.0.8-1
If I add, options snd-intel-dspcfg dsp_driver=1 then I got good sound, but no mic, and if i remove it, i got that horrible sound, but a mic.