Some questions about Gentoo templates

From private message I’ve received for which it deserves answers for everybody:

1. How to enable resizing of disk image of template? I have installed gentoo-xfce template in Qubes 4.1, and when upgrading and rebuilding @world disk size was increased up to 90GB. After cleaning all cache etc, used space is only 11 GB, but in Qubes Manager in dom0 disk usage of Gentoo template looks like 90 GB.

2. Any docs about Qubes-specific features in Gentoo exists?

3. I am interested how qubes-updates-proxy works, why gentoo-minimal don’t have qubes-updates-proxy.service and how to install it.

My answers:

1. This is not specific to Gentoo: Resize disk image | Qubes OS.
  2. Not that much Contents/gentoo.md at master · Qubes-Community/Contents · GitHub.
  3. Certainly because I’ve not implemented all the Qubes OS content into the overlay directly: GitHub - fepitre/qubes-gentoo.
2 Likes

Hey there, I don’t know if I’m strupid but, after a fresh and clean install of QubesOS 4.1 rc3, i can’t install the gentoo template with thoses command :
sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community qubes-template-gentoo
sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing qubes-template-gentoo
or
sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-gentoo
I’ve tried to switch from repo with the command line but also with the GUI on Global Settings
I also have the same issue with the Kali Template …
the output is :

Redirecting to 'qvm-template install --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community qubes-template-gentoo'
usage: qvm-template ..(all the command avalaible)..

qvm-template: error: Template 'gentoo' not found.

Thanks in advance for any help

What’s the output of

qvm-template --enablerepo qubes-templates-community list

Installed Templates :
Debian 11 @commandline
Fedora 34 @commandline
whonix GW/WS 16 @commandline
Available templates :
all of the minimal, xfce, old (debian 10, fedora 32) templates qubes-templates-itl

Hi @Loutchi

There is some issues with qvm-template, you should wait the dom0 update for qubes-core-admin-client_4.1.20 and python3-qubesadmin-4.1.20 (available in few days), see :

At the same time, haha. Sorry

1 Like

@Loutchi If you don’t want to wait, maybe editing maually

/etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-templates.repo

and setring

[qubes-templates-community-testing]

enabled = 1

and then running

qvm-template --enablerepo qubes-templates-community-testing install gentoo

would help?

oh, ok thanks to both of you !

@Loutchi If you don’t want to wait, maybe editing maually
/etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-templates.repo
and setring
[qubes-templates-community-testing]

enabled = 1
and then running
qvm-template --enablerepo qubes-templates-community-testing install gentoo
would help?

Thanks ! I’ve tried but nothing changed, i’ll wait for the update i guess

I’ve did a reinstall on my old pc somedays ago, what i did is just, change all repo to testing in global settings, qubes-dom0-update, then qvm-template-gui everything is work as expected.

Ok, I’ve just tried that it doesn’t work …
Thanks anyway

can you tell me what template inside qvm-template-gui ? if there’s only debian and fedora, i’m sure that you haven’t enabled communtiy template.

Qubes OS official template release : Official template updates (testing)

Community templates : Community template update (testing)

dom0 updates: Testing update EDIT: after changing this option and doing qubes-dom0-update (installing them) it works
Thanks !

Oh, so you didn’t follow instructions from the first link/topic I posted:

See testing-repositories, you should install the qubes-core-admin-client and python3-qubesadmin packages from the current-testing repository.