Software Will Install, then Doesn't Save and Can't Be Found, This is Not a Disposable VM, Plenty of Space

I install software and then it ghosts me.

I trie qvm-sync-appmenus in dom0 terminal. It does nothing to fix this.

When I reload the Software program in Fedora33, the programs aren’t even listed as installed after I previously installed them in Software and it shows they correctly installed. These programs do run after installation, but after I shutdown and restart, it’s like they were never there.

I am totally sure this is not a disposable VM. That would be a very easy fix.

Hi @qubesn00b, have you installed the software in the template as
documented here?

In short: when you install something in an AppVM all changes are lost
after shutdown/restart by design.

I was considered a computer expert at the “Windows XP for Dummies” forum before coming over here. Maybe I should have stayed?

So I was able to figure out the issue after the help here.

Problem 1: I didn’t understand that “templates” are not the same as the Qube VMs.

Problem 2: I also didn’t realize ALL Qubes revert back to their prior state after closing except for templates. There are disposable Qubes and so I thought those were the ones that reverted and that everything else was somewhat fixed. I was also confused because initially those template Qubes don’t have any internet connection and I thought they weren’t supposed to have any. So I did add access and then turned off Internet access after for those templates.

Can someone please clarify what the difference is between a disposable Qube and a regular domain cube? I think that was part of my problem.

I ended up going into the templates to install apps. They still wouldn’t update after that and I had to do qvm-sync-appmenus in order to get it updated.

I still do not understand this operating system very well.

Can someone please clarify what the difference is between a disposable
Qube and a regular domain cube?

I still do not understand this operating system very well.

That’s to be expected. Maybe reading that entire page will help you see
a bit more of the big picture.