Simple config for faster storage for disk write intensive building environment via btrfs volumes

BACKGROUND: Qubes OS R4.1 by default uses LVM volume with snapshot for AppVM private storage, and by default the filesystem is ext4. A large amount of disk writes (for example extracting a linux kernel source code tarball) can be extremely slow.

I have found a simple solution of this problem, and I would like to share it here for anyone in need, and also in the hope of letting more Qubes OS experts help me find out whether this practice has security problem or is not optimal, or I was misunderstanding some Qubes OS mechanisms.

METHOD:

1. Create the LVM volume to remove the snapshot layer. In dom0 the lvcreate following command can create a volume that is visible in qvm-block and qvm-device block ls
# vm-pool -> thin pool name (existing)
# custom_testvol1 -> volume name (new)
lvcreate -V 100G --thinpool vm-pool qubes_dom0 -n custom_testvol1
lvremove /dev/qubes_dom0/custom_testvol1

Better set a common prefix for names of all custom volumes.

1. (Thanks to @rustybird) Edit dom0 config so that dom0 udev does not parse the block device. Qube can be untrusted, and they are free to edit the volume, which is why we should make sure that dom0 does not parse the volume filesystem by default.
    (Apply for Qubes R4.1) Create a file named /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/20-skip-custom-lvm-devices.rules in dom0, and insert the following content:
ACTION!="remove", SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{DM_UUID}=="LVM-*", ENV{DM_LV_NAME}=="custom_*" ENV{DM_UDEV_DISABLE_DISK_RULES_FLAG}="1", ENV{UDEV_DISABLE_PERSISTENT_STORAGE_RULES_FLAG}="1" ENV{QUBES_EXPORT_BLOCK_DEVICE}="1"

Note that custom_* is the prefix mentioned before, and edit it to fit your use case.

1. attach the block device onto the builder appvm. I usually uses the GUI approach though qvm-block attach is possible; when ro is required, qvm-block attach --ro seems to be the only solution.

2. format the volume. In your appvm format the block device with the filesystem you like: if you only use it to store large files, ext4 is enough; if you need to store a swarm of small files, btrfs or zfs will be your choice. (btrfs is one of preinstalled kernel modules so can be used across various linux appvms - one only need a mkfs.btrfs initially; zfs must be installed manually in template vm and is harder to install)

3. mount it and try it out to see the performance improvement.

DISCUSSION: This setup is advantageous mainly because
(1) no snapshot, no playing with lvm volume creation and deletion. This can improve block device writing speed and accelerate builder VM shutting down (When a VM writing too much memory, the VM will be slow to shutdown)
(2) using custom filesystem like btrfs rather than default ext4 can minimize required disk writes since such filesystem has many advanced features including optimizations for storing smaller files, compression and deduplication.

As a result this is an optimal setup for VM that does extensive building - such behavior can create many small files.

This setup is compatible with zfs on docker. I tried this and find out that such setup accelerate dockerfile building by a large amount and does not increase shutdown time for builder VM.

With this setup, one volume could also be mounted onto various appvms. Though this could possibly break the VM isolation (one compromise appvm can contaminate the block device), this may be desired in some situations especially when the block device is attached readonly, for example when one want to broadcast certain large files to a range of appVMs, or let VM use the files temporarily without putting the files into VM private storage, etc.

1 Like

Whenever you’re creating block devices with VM controlled (i.e. potentially malicious) data, it’s critical that nothing in dom0 parses this data. In particular, you have to avoid kernel partition scans (I think those are off by default for LVM volumes?) and udev scans for filesystems etc.:

Your argument is valid, and I just found that dom0 actually parses the fs of the created volumes.

I regreted not to set a same prefix for names of all my custom volumes, and I have tried adding one rule for my existing volumes. I will reboot my machine and check the effect. Thank you for your advice.

UPDATE: Adding such config file make the partition vanished from qvm-block. I am trying to figure out how this can be solved. I have set ENV{DM_UDEV_DISABLE_DISK_RULES_FLAG}="1", ENV{UDEV_DISABLE_PERSISTENT_STORAGE_RULES_FLAG}="1" and the lvm volumes does not appear in device list. I wonder how I can make the lvm volume appear inside qvm-device while stop dom0 from parsing partition table.

ENV{QUBES_EXPORT_BLOCK_DEVICE}="1" and ordering your ruleset file before 99-qubes-block.rules should do the trick.

1 Like

That works for me, thank you!

I will update the post to reflect this.

Sorry to necro this thread, but I just used this advice (thanks @szz9pza for linking me here) to make some custom “extra volumes” (beyond root/volatile/private) to attach to an untrusted domain.

If you name the file 20-skip-custom-lvm-devices.rules, it gets run after 13-dm-disk.rules, and you still get some /dev/disk/by-* links. I think (because 13-dm-disk.rules runs blkid) this means dom0 is still scanning the partition if you use 20-.

I named my file 12-qubes-ignore-custom-lvm-devices.rules (just tucking it in alongside 12-qubes-ignore-lvm-devices.rules, since basically it just adds another sentinel pattern to ignore).