Signal and Brave both ask me to set a keyring password

Template: Debian-12. If I leave it blank does this mean the database of these apps will not be encrypted? Why is this behavior displayed only on Qubes?

That’s standard for Brave on Debian as early as 11, and (I’m guessing) recently added by Signal due to the recent kerfluffle about plaintext storage of a session key. As long as the keyring package(s) are installed. I believe they’re default with the “Desktop” software package selection in a Debian XFCE install

The former I’m sure of (I use Debian 11/12 + Brave separately from Qubes)

The latter is just a guess

If you remove the Debian packages that provide the keyring functionality it should go away if you really don’t want it

1 Like

Ah I see. Should I set the password the same as my user password or should I make it different? I think the default behavior outside Qubes is to use the already set user password to encrypt the data in the keyring, or am I mistaken?

Your decision. Neither is unreasonable. I don’t make much use of it nor am I too familiar with the design or implementation. Maybe someone else has better advice

The Arch Linux docs here - see section 4.1 - make a point about UX, which is that if you set the keyring password to your user account password, you can have seamless unlocking

I didn’t read that link thoroughly - you probably should though

2 Likes