Short list of laptops/desktops that work well with Qubes OS

@kysstfafm, as far as the HCL goes we have the following classifications:

• laptop
  • desktop/workstation
  • server
  • motherboard

The first three are in my understanding for off-the-shelf (NOT DIY) systems, while the last covers all DIY systems. I have tried to catch all DIY systems that are currently listed as desktop and move them into motherboards.

I am one of the HCL maintainers and want to clean this up. I’d appreciate if you could point out to me all the systems that are currently misclassified. You can respond here or send me a PM, whatever you prefer.

1 Like

Where would DIY laptops go @Sven? Does upgrading CPU/RAM/Storage/other components in laptop count as DIY?

@enmus “DIY” implies “one of a kind”, “build from scratch” by assembling separately ordered parts. While I know (from books) that DIY laptops are possible, I’ve never seen one and don’t believe we have received an HCL report for one.

Upgrading memory, storage, CPU, WiFi, display etc are common and while you can do them yourself, you can also have them done at any ordinary repair shop. I wouldn’t call this DIY.

2 Likes

I will try, however I expect that it won’t be easy, for either of us. I know, you are very busy with real world plus this duty.

I notice on a cursory examination of HCL today that there seem to be a number of Asus motherboards (I’m going to have to run down portions of the list at a time to sort out any true systems rather than motherboards) that likely fit this category too. I am unfamiliar of too many Asus products which would fit this broad number of items better than their motherboards but let me take a closer look.

I do though have to suggest that Gigabyte Brix (only as a for instance since my Zotac system never made it in or got culled long ago for some reason, also Intel NUCs can fit into this quasi-category) or other items like a Zotac small form factor PC that in some (but not all cases) come provided sans OS (I once used a Zotac for Qubes in the early days - worked with Atom processor & only 8GB of RAM rather well) should likely count too. If it wasn’t pre-assembled & never had Microsoft installed by a merchant/manufacturer before sale to the end-user posting this to the HCL…

It’s on my list, but I am frankly waiting to see if there will be more input from you and others or if I’ll have to personally check each and every entry by hand myself.

Either way it’ll get done soon.

Sorry, I don’t think that is possible. But I also don’t see any issue with discussing it here and having others participate.

Gigabyte Brix

I don’t think we should go crazy with this. If what is provided is a fully functional PC (even if there is no OS installed), it’s off-the-shelf / desktop.

Done - sorry for taking ages to to so… mea culpa!
Schenker XMG NEO (M19)

A post was split to a new topic: Mini-itx setup working with Qubes?

R4.1 is released and now the recommended version of Qubes OS. We need to update the list of community-recommended computers.

Criteria:

• Qubes OS installs without any workarounds
  • Graphics, networking, audio and suspend work without troubleshooting
  • Recommended 16 GB RAM are possible
  • Keyboard can be connected via PS/2 in case of desktops
  • Readily available to be purchased (including pre-owned)
  • Two or more community members have confirmed the above

There are two ways computers make it on this list:

1. community members call out models (preferably the ones they use themselves) and point to at least two positive reports for R4.1 (released, not RC or Beta!) … I cross-check the reports and when needed with the reporters in case details are missing and put them on the list if they check out.

2. I collect and post machines as I see them trickle in

In the interest of the community and the project hopefully many community members will proactively step up and submit HCL reports after installing / testing R4.1 and keep an eye out for a second report confirming theirs … and then ping me.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Purism Librem 14 v1

Done.

What kind of RAM did you use? Do you have a link? I think the only DDR3 ram with 16gb has ECC, which the t450s doesn’t support.

Sorry, it’s been so long that I don’t remember. Pretty sure it’s not ECC, though.

Not true that 16GB DDR3 is only ECC - the Lenovo 03X7015 fits the bill.
Micron also had a module.
It’s rare, incredibly expensive new, but you will find it if you look.

Thanks. The lowest price for the lenovo one i see is $135 for one stick on ebay, haha.

I just installed Qubes 4.1.0 on a used Lenovo T430, no problems at all.

I did upgrade the RAM to 16gb (2x8). There’s also a youtube video shows how to replace the CPU with a faster one. I might try that some day.

I also bought one of those dvd-bay caddy where you can use the dvd drive bay to hold a ssd or hdd. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRI8YFN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Would you mind sending in an HCL report for it?

Does it match these criteria?

• Qubes OS installs without any workarounds
  • Graphics, networking, audio & suspend work without troubleshooting

If so it could be the first machine to make it back on the list of community recommended computers.

Sure. Haven’t tried audio or suspend yet, but will do.

I would like to amend two of the criteria for inclusion:

1. add “suspend” to “Graphics, networking & audio work without troubleshooting”
  2. allow a machine to be added with only one (1) community report IF it was previously already included on the list

The first is driven by discussions on this list, the later one by the desire to populate the R4.1 list without delay. I consider those common sense and move ahead assuming the community is fine with it. Should I be wrong, I volunteer to roll back my changes. … again, in the interest of time / speedy progress.

2 Likes

Thank you! What do you think about my suggestion? Some users in the next posts did find it useful.

I have the exact opposite opinion. The list is about computers that work well with Qubes OS and are in use by the community. That includes the certified and developer tested machines. I see no reason to separate them from the list. I also don’t think it looks better or more structured – quite the opposite actually it adds complexity and visual noise.

I also think this point was already discussed multiple times in the past and my impression was the consensus to include those machines in the list.

However, that is just my opinion and this is a community project.