Seeing temperature and system info in dom0

Is there an easy way to see the temperature of your system in dom0?

1 Like

I am using XFCE “Sensor Plugin” on my xfce4-panel. You can add it with right click on a panel, then Panel → Add New Items… It conveniently shows temperatures and is updated automatically.

Note that you don’t have to add it to your main panel but you can create another panel and make it hidden until you hover the mouse over it.

1 Like

@fsflover Are you using R4.0?

Yes. I doubt that xfce 4.14 (which Qubes 4.1 uses) removed that option.

1 Like

Confirmed to work in 4.1 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it possible to see the same info on i3 ?

Is it possible to see the same info on i3 ?

[user@dom0 ~]$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +49.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +49.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +44.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +48.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +44.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

thinkpad-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
fan1:        3432 RPM
temp1:        +47.0°C
temp2:         +0.0°C
temp3:         +0.0°C
temp4:         +0.0°C
temp5:         +0.0°C
temp6:         +0.0°C
temp7:         +0.0°C
temp8:         +0.0°C

Thanks. Well, I meant on the desktop panel, like xfce4-panel.

Thanks. Well, I meant on the desktop panel, like xfce4-panel.

That took all of 5 seconds using a search machine :wink:

https://i3wm.org/i3status/manpage.html#_cpu_temperature

1 Like

Hey, thanks. I have the misunderstanding of thinking about dom0 as some modded linux distro, and hence the general how-to on linux stuff not applying to it. I should let go of this.

Thankfully, my X220 setup is taking shape (got a machine, cleaned it up, will apply thermal paste and put 16 GB RAM) so that I can gain first hand experience with it.

I’m not getting any CPU temp readings from the sensor plug-in or command line. Maybe an i7 11700K is too new for Qubes to show the CPU temp? Although I don’t remember being able to see the temp with my old i7 6700K.

Works on my old thinkpads, so you may be right.

1 Like

Thanks. Not a big deal.

It works with my i9 12900K, I think it depends on the motherboard and the sensors used.

You can try running sensors-detect it might be able to detect your hardware.

1 Like

Yeah maybe it’s related to the board. There’s a Nuvoton NCT6798D Super IO Sensor that might be missing a driver. I’m reading either I find the driver or try this acpi_enforce_resources=lax in the boot parameter. I found a similar issue here CPU temperature sensors in Qubes 4.1 - #5 by tzwcfq

The arch wiki has some info on what driver is needed for different motherboards.

2 Likes

It seems to be a hardware / linux compatibility issue, not Qubes. I ended up entering acpi_enforce_resources=lax in the boot parameter and loaded the driver nct6775.

1 Like