Seeing temperature and system info in dom0

Is there an easy way to see the temperature of your system in dom0?

1 Like

I am using XFCE ā€œSensor Pluginā€ on my xfce4-panel. You can add it with right click on a panel, then Panel ā†’ Add New Itemsā€¦ It conveniently shows temperatures and is updated automatically.

Note that you donā€™t have to add it to your main panel but you can create another panel and make it hidden until you hover the mouse over it.

1 Like

@fsflover Are you using R4.0?

Yes. I doubt that xfce 4.14 (which Qubes 4.1 uses) removed that option.

1 Like

Confirmed to work in 4.1 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it possible to see the same info on i3 ?

Is it possible to see the same info on i3 ?

[user@dom0 ~]$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +49.0Ā°C  (high = +87.0Ā°C, crit = +105.0Ā°C)
Core 0:        +49.0Ā°C  (high = +87.0Ā°C, crit = +105.0Ā°C)
Core 1:        +44.0Ā°C  (high = +87.0Ā°C, crit = +105.0Ā°C)
Core 2:        +48.0Ā°C  (high = +87.0Ā°C, crit = +105.0Ā°C)
Core 3:        +44.0Ā°C  (high = +87.0Ā°C, crit = +105.0Ā°C)

thinkpad-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
fan1:        3432 RPM
temp1:        +47.0Ā°C
temp2:         +0.0Ā°C
temp3:         +0.0Ā°C
temp4:         +0.0Ā°C
temp5:         +0.0Ā°C
temp6:         +0.0Ā°C
temp7:         +0.0Ā°C
temp8:         +0.0Ā°C

Thanks. Well, I meant on the desktop panel, like xfce4-panel.

Thanks. Well, I meant on the desktop panel, like xfce4-panel.

That took all of 5 seconds using a search machine :wink:

https://i3wm.org/i3status/manpage.html#_cpu_temperature

1 Like

Hey, thanks. I have the misunderstanding of thinking about dom0 as some modded linux distro, and hence the general how-to on linux stuff not applying to it. I should let go of this.

Thankfully, my X220 setup is taking shape (got a machine, cleaned it up, will apply thermal paste and put 16 GB RAM) so that I can gain first hand experience with it.

Iā€™m not getting any CPU temp readings from the sensor plug-in or command line. Maybe an i7 11700K is too new for Qubes to show the CPU temp? Although I donā€™t remember being able to see the temp with my old i7 6700K.

Works on my old thinkpads, so you may be right.

1 Like

Thanks. Not a big deal.

It works with my i9 12900K, I think it depends on the motherboard and the sensors used.

You can try running sensors-detect it might be able to detect your hardware.

1 Like

Yeah maybe itā€™s related to the board. Thereā€™s a Nuvoton NCT6798D Super IO Sensor that might be missing a driver. Iā€™m reading either I find the driver or try this acpi_enforce_resources=lax in the boot parameter. I found a similar issue here CPU temperature sensors in Qubes 4.1 - #5 by tzwcfq

The arch wiki has some info on what driver is needed for different motherboards.

2 Likes

It seems to be a hardware / linux compatibility issue, not Qubes. I ended up entering acpi_enforce_resources=lax in the boot parameter and loaded the driver nct6775.

1 Like