Screen freezing in Qubes 4.0.4

Continuing the discussion from Impressions of Qubes 4.0.4 from a 4.1 migrant:

Moving discussion into a new topic

2 Likes

The freezing of the screen occured with my installation of R4.0 too. Some internet research showed that this can be a problem with kernel 5.10 on some systems (mine is an HP ElliteBook 840G4 with an i5-7200U processor). Going back to kernel 5.4.88-1 solved this issue; R4.0 is running without problems again.

R4.1 does not show this behaviour and runs fine with the 5.10 kernel, but, on the other hand, some ubuntu istallations do freeze, too.

2 Likes

I’d been running 5.10 on R4.1 from when it was released up until last week and hadn’t encountered any issues. (Not 100% sure it was actually running on dom0 though, since /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg doesn’t exist on that).

If the nouveau.modeset=0 addition doesn’t fix it, I’ll try your suggestion next.

1 Like

Update: Qubes froze; reverting changes and switching dom0 to 5.4.88-1. Will update again if it freezes again.

Has anyone filed a bug report on Github? (I don’t have an account there, which is also why I can’t update the documentation)

1 Like

I filed a bug report #6458, as it sems that I am not the only one who got caught.

4 Likes

Update: Qubes kernel-latest is now 5.11.4-1. Will update if a freeze occurs

Update: Qubes froze while using 5.11.4-1. This time, the cursor froze along with the rest of the screen. Reverted back to 5.4.88-1

So far, I had no screen freezing with 5.11.4-1 (neither for R4.0.4 nor R4.1), but this might still come sometime …