are needed.
Most of the states at GitHub - unman/shaker started out as
examples for the notes at GitHub - unman/notes - they are
designed to be simple and easy to understand. The “Hello World” of
salting Qubes.
In any case, it doesn’t matter if the average user is baffled by Salt,
or cant understand pillars. They would probably baulk at the python used
in Qubes. At the moment they (mis)read documentation and blindly copy
shell scripts, or have someone set things up for them.

What we are talking about is a simple way for users to set up or add to
their Qubes system. We already use salt for this.
I think a simple solution is to package salt formulae in rpms and
distribute them using the standard mechanism that users use. It would be
good to provide a front end like apper, or one of the wire frames
produced years ago. If we did this right, then the command line in
whatever managementVM is used could drop out of use.

The questions then are:
How to vet and control what goes in to that repository - this would be a
question for any provisioning system.
How to keep reviewing and updating the packages and formulae (agnostic
as to sort)
How to produce a front end, or make the packages (whatever sort) easily
available.

I don’t want to shut down the question of whether salt is right for
Qubes, or some alternative might do better. But any solution will have
to deal with those last questions, and at the moment salt is what we
have.
We’ve been talking about this for 4-5 years - lets do something.

1 Like

Happy to be wrong. It would save me time coming up with alternative solutions.

There is no expectation that the minions already exist in the Qubes version, how about the vanilla version, the idea I’m trying to get across is that Salt is not designed for the way that Qubes uses it and that creates problems that wouldn’t exist if Qubes was using something custom or something designed for a similar purpose.

Yes but how about dependencies on other formulas or cross vm dependencies?

I am not saying they are hard to follow like perl with goto statements is hard to follow, more like Java with too many abstract factory decorator proxy interface stub respositories. Overly verbose and time consuming to achieve having a vm name that can be changed in one place and that name reused throughout the formula.

Is that also true across formulas in Qubes?

Yeah, there is a fine line.

I must admit I do kind of love jinja. I just think the whole separate file tree shouldn’t be required for variables.

Yeah I have been thinking about working with that. I honestly wouldn’t mind spending some time putting something together to work with that API soon as I get some spare time (whenever that is).

My readability comments were more about things being longer than they need to be or would be in bash rather than about Salt being not usable by non technical users.

Do you envision those salt formulas continuing to run within Dom0? will the rpms automatically enable the tops? How would you handle naming conflicts and changes to the template vms?

I noticed the uniqueness requirement when duplicating states accross multiple formulas (e.g. to ensure a qube exists, say I want work to be a client for both split-SSH and split-GPG.)

That being said, and thinking about it now, it is not uncommon for file names to be state IDs (e.g. the first example in the salt.states.file docs). It doesn’t make sense that you couldn’t manage the same file in two machines, so I think I should amend the “globally”. It is very likely scoped by “execution environment” (no relation to the Salt envrionments, just putting words on the concept).

Two states with ID work-qube-is-present in dom0 is not OK, but two states with ID /etc/hostname in two different qubes is likely fine.

Disclaimer: I’m thinking through this, I haven’t checked, so take it with a grain of salt (no pun intended).

I am not sure I understand this part. I don’t believe Qubes OS modifies Salt to achieve that. (If someone actually knows, please chime in!)

It happens that one of the minions (dom0 is the Salt master, but behaves like a minion when state is asserted on it) has the ability to create other machines and their presence can be considered part of its state.

If asserting some state on those other machines is desirable (making them minions), ensuring their presence is merely a (regular) dependency between states, like the ones that require is meant to handle. I may be missing something, but don’t see why Salt would need to be customized for this.

Qubes OS does provides the qvm state module, but I don’t think that was the meaning behind “vanilla” vs “Qubes” Salt?

Am I in the ball park @restive, or missing the point of what you meant?

I currently use pillar to make the qubes names configurable (for example, a split-GPG formula defines the concept of gpg-client, but leaves to the user the ability to decide, via a configuration file, that they want their work and personal-email qubes to behave like gpg-clients).

This comment makes me wonder if there is a simpler way to achieve that. (This is probably not the thread to answer that specific question, but I think the example may provide some scope for the use of Salt pillar?)

Following the suggestion to re-center the conversation:

To the questions:

I would add:

• How to provide guidance about how inter-dependent the packages (whatever they are) should be.

It seems to me that it makes sense that some packages build on each other, but also I think that such a repository would have less value if installing one package required to install a large number of them.

To go against my own strictures, I’ll comment on some of the salt specific
issues.

1. dependencies on other formulas - simply implemented in salt, using
    includes and varieties of requires
  2. cross vm dependencies - Not sure how deep you want to dig. Ordinarily
    you would mine, or use orchestrate, or a custom runner, or even have
    minions interact directly with each other. In Qubes, none of this is
    necessary because the managementVM has complete oversight and access to
    all minions, grains and pillars.
    If you mean “get configuration from qube A, use it in qube B”, then
    since I would have salted the former it would be trivial to do the
    latter.
    If you want dependency on user generated configuration, the managementVM
    can access that.
  3. globally unique state IDs - unique at execution. It’s good practice to
    avoid clash by using, e.g foo.configure and bar.configure instead of
    configure in foo and bar, and hoping for the best.
  4. Bash/salt - I used to script Qubes - I don’t now. Whatever method is
    used to set up systems will face the same issues in making formulae
    available

General -
5. dom0? managementVM? Not sure of the relevance. Any scripts or setup
will require some management function.
6. Naming conflicts? Do you mean if someone creates their own “sys-net”
by hand? It should be straightforward to prompt user “I see you already
have foo - what name do you want to use for your shiny new qube?”.
But these mechanisms could, if done right, stop all that.
7. Changes to templateVMs? I hope so. I am great advocate of multiple
templates, but whether we want to enforce this on users is a moot
point.

If some mechanism worked well, then it has the potential to transform
Qubes. Who cares if you have 80 qubes and 40 templates on your system?
People focus too much on the implementation, not the outcome, and the
Qube Manager and menu make that focus seem inevitable. It isn’t.
A naive user should be able to install a package that creates a
Template-printer and a Printer qube, with a menu item for “Print
settings”,and be able to use the printer as they want.

OK were you able to solve that problem? Ideally there should be a tag that should indicate whether the vm is a valid gpg client or something similar no? I wonder if you could add a tag to a vm, query that through the qubes pillar. How does jinja work with salt state naming I assume you can do a loop.index or some dictionary value from the thing you are looping as part of the name?

Also I guess it would probably work fine if there was some common package that needed to be installed by multiple formulas that could apply to the same VM.

Seems overkill to create environment per rpm but it may be the only way to make it all fit nicely together. I wonder if that would make it easier to sandbox the downloaded salt to ensure it has limited permissions.

Well .top files don’t exist in Salt, that’s purely a qubes thing, then also the way that VMs are started before state is applied, the order in which the application happens and the fact that you don’t need to start every VM to run the high state would be unique to Qubes I would imagine.

So in order for a formula to work the top needs to be enabled, this is not a thing in SaltStack, there is no top file so in order to require that another top is enabled you would need something custom to make that work.

My argument is that there should be but I think one would have to be created, which it wouldn’t if we used something that wasn’t salt. It’s like using a hammer to clean a window, yes you can extend the hammer to make it clean the window but the fact that you have to extend something to do something so fundamental to the activity you are engaged in is an indication that this is the wrong tool for the job.

OK, so how would my formula make use of your kali template? I would have to ask the user to first install your formula and enable the top before using it right? Unless my rpm depends on your rpm and then as part of the install of the RPM it ensures the top is enabled? Would that how you imagine it working?

Isn’t the whole point of qubes to limit the power that any one part of your system has to breach the security of the rest of it?

OK so in the same example I used above, what if I what I wrote depends on the Kali template you wrote, and there is a naming conflict, how do I depend on your Kali template when I can’t know for sure what the name of the template is going to be. Would it be tagged according to the RPM it came from so I know how to discover it?

I just mean that Qubes shouldn’t have a system for distributing these salt formulas that is worse than scripting them because it breaks if you have anything but the most vanilla install.

Focusing on the implementation is something you should do before implementing something right? I mean even if you were to decide to stop answering my questions, those questions would still have to be answered to implement the system you want to build right?

I have no idea if this is going to end in the right thread on the Forum,
or what it is going to look like, but here goes.

I’ve answered some of these questions before, I think.

OK were you able to solve that problem? Ideally there should be a tag that should indicate whether the vm is a valid gpg client or something similar no? I wonder if you could add a tag to a vm, query that through the qubes pillar. How does jinja work with salt state naming I assume you can do a loop.index or some dictionary value from the thing you are looping as part of the name?

Also I guess it would probably work fine if there was some common package that needed to be installed by multiple formulas that could apply to the same VM.

Uniqueness is an issue at execution, and easily resolved by sensible
naming : foo.config instead of config in foo.
It’s distinct from the targeting and requirement issue, which can be
solved, as you say by use of tags.
You can easily loop over elements if you have gone that way.

Seems overkill to create environment per rpm but it may be the only way to make it all fit nicely together. I wonder if that would make it easier to sandbox the downloaded salt to ensure it has limited permissions.

If you want to sandbox the salt, then run it in an managementVM where
you have set controls.

Well .top files don’t exist in Salt, that’s purely a qubes thing, then also the way that VMs are started before state is applied, the order in which the application happens and the fact that you don’t need to start every VM to run the high state would be unique to Qubes I would imagine.

Top files are an integral part of salt - they are in the top of a state
tree and map (groups of) machines to configurations.
https://docs.saltproject.io/en/latest/ref/states/top.html

Enabling a hierarchy of tops is a (painful and unnecessary) part of
salt. In many cases you can just state.apply states and they will do
the right thing™

So in order for a formula to work the top needs to be enabled, this is not a thing in SaltStack, there is no top file so in order to require that another top is enabled you would need something custom to make that work.

My argument is that there should be but I think one would have to be created, which it wouldn’t if we used something that wasn’t salt. It’s like using a hammer to clean a window, yes you can extend the hammer to make it clean the window but the fact that you have to extend something to do something so fundamental to the activity you are engaged in is an indication that this is the wrong tool for the job.

OK, so how would my formula make use of your kali template? I would have to ask the user to first install your formula and enable the top before using it right? Unless my rpm depends on your rpm and then as part of the install of the RPM it ensures the top is enabled? Would that how you imagine it working?

Installing states in an rpm is simple. The package creates the right
structure of a state tree under /srv, and in post-install executes the
state.
It’s at this point that you can interact with user to determine scope
or targets, and configure target qubes as necessary.
This does give the packages from whatever repo is in play significant
control, which is what we should be discussing in the other thread - it
affects any configuration mechanism, which is why it’s important to
get it right…

Isn’t the whole point of qubes to limit the power that any one part of your system has to breach the security of the rest of it?

OK so in the same example I used above, what if I what I wrote depends on the Kali template you wrote, and there is a naming conflict, how do I depend on your Kali template when I can’t know for sure what the name of the template is going to be. Would it be tagged according to the RPM it came from so I know how to discover it?

If you package depends on my kali package, then you do know what the
template is going to be. If it just depends on there being some
template called template-kali, (created by whatever means) then you
specify the requirement differently.
Maybe there is an argument for having certain reserved names (sys-
Template- etc)

I just mean that Qubes shouldn’t have a system for distributing these salt formulas that is worse than scripting them because it breaks if you have anything but the most vanilla install.

Focusing on the implementation is something you should do before implementing something right? I mean even if you were to decide to stop answering my questions, those questions would still have to be answered to implement the system you want to build right?

I meant the implementation of Qubes with templates, appVMs. The Manager
and default Menu makes people focus on those, but for many(most?) users
that focus is completely irrelevant.
You don’t need to know that Qubes uses salt to create a new template by
cloning an existing one, configuring the new template with packages,
creating a new appVM to hold the printer, creating a new Menu item where
you have to add the entry for “Printer settings”, and then configure
each qube to connect to that printer.
You don’t need to follow instructions that tell you to create a
template, connect it to the network, install software and configure
printer, and then change the templates for some qubes so you can print
from those qubes.
What you need to know is that you can install this package, and you
will have a printer settings item, and you can then print from your
applications. You do this - you can print.

Ironically, in many posts I rabbit on about increasing understanding and
forcing people to learn about the implementation - perhaps I’ve been
got at by Nina.

I hope I dont stop answering questions, time and other factors
permitting.

I can confirm that using RPM packages to install Salt states (and pillars if needed) doesn’t require complex packaging.

The nature of the RPM package is to mimic the target file system, and IMHO that makes placing files in /srv very readable.

My own packages install the states and pillar (when necessary) in /srv/user_salt and /srv/user_pillar. At this point, I’ve preferred not to execute post-install steps, but what @unman describes makes sense to me. (In my case you install the package, edit its config file at your pleasure, say /srv/user_pillar/split-ssh/config.yaml, and enable the top file(s). That is absolutely up to what kind of user interface you want, and I happen to be progressively automating further but only as I need it.

@restive I think part of what does make sense to you comes from the assumption / misunderstanding that Salt is modified in Qubes OS, e.g. top files.

I probably didn’t express myself clearly when I said it earlier (I cannot find my post in the reschufgle of the topic, so maybe its not there anymore, doen’t really matter) and @unman just said it too, but let me insist for clarity: top files are a Salt concept, that’s described in their docs.

Top files are what allow to apply (at once) a group of state files across multiple targets, where not all the state files apply to all targets. It a quite central concept to the use of Salt. That being said, you can do without if you want, they’re mostly a convenience when it comes to targeting. (I don’t personally find them painful, quite the opposite indeed, but YMMV.)

Does this make sense? (@unman linked to the docs above, and if you find my post it had the same link :stuck_out_tongue:)

I didn’t suggest creating Salt environments oer-package or Salt formula. My choice of words wasn’t good.

This is a not-really-issue in my experience in practice, that can be solved by prefixing state IDs (as @unman suggests) or defining states only once and create dependencies (e.g. via Salt require) between formulas. Which you go for depends on your position in the DRY-and-modular - standalone spectrum. (Personally, I was leaning towards prefixing very much in the way @unman describes because so far I’d rather my formulas to be more standalone.) I don’t think any way is inherently wrong, rather it depends on who your target audience is and what you want the user experience to be.

I hope this helps clear some of your concerns @restive ?

Best not to rely on the good intentions of the developer of an RPM to respect the appropriate conventions, ideally prefix should be enforced.

I’m not sure that’s going to be easy, I imagine it’s going to be rather painful, but seems possible to do.

Any docs on how that works?

top.sls yes, *.top no

How do I guarantee your kali template is there without enabling the tops?

Sure that’s trivial, it’s just that those rpms are going to have the god mode in dom0, which is kind of weird for installing a kali template.

Yeah I think ideally it would run in a separate VM, with limited API access to the admin api or something but you mentioned that being in not a good state at present.

Yeah, I would much prefer an enforced prefix based on the name of the rpm or something to avoid conflicts

Yes except if you click install and it doesn’t allow you to print because of some modification you have made to your base template

I’m starting to run low on energy for this discussion sadly, not sure I’m effectively getting across my concerns.

top.sls exists in salt, .top doesn’t

I didn’t say you did, I was saying that it might be the only way to avoid naming conflicts which shouldn’t be a thing between code that you wrote and code that you didn’t write.

Do I have to edit other people’s code if they fail to use best practice and prefix their state ids? Relying on the good intentions and best practice to be followed seems pretty silly.

I’m not sure folks are fully understanding what I’m talking about as I don’t feel like the counter arguments address all of what I’m saying. It might be more efficient to have the discussion over voip, that might not be an option or of interest but thought I’d put it out there.

My understanding of the disagreement between @unman and me is that I think that while it’s possible to build a system like is needed using Salt there would be a lot of code smell and otherwise unnecessary complexity. @unman seems to argue that Salt is what exists in Qubes already, it is possible to implement the system with Salt therefor it should be implemented with Salt.

I don’t think @unman’s argument is without merit, despite my disagreement with the approach, it is possible to do this in Salt and it is possible to solve those problems that I raised with the existing system to create an app store.

I also appreciate that I’m new here and coming in here telling you guys what you are doing wrong isn’t a great look. I do want to say that I really admire the work you’ve done and for an amazing cause in case I didn’t put that across.

I think it might be an idea to take a new approach to the discussion what are the requirements for this system, and what work would be involved in adapting what exists already to meet these requirements?

Here would be my list in no particular order of the top of my head.

• User should be able to read the code before execution
  • User should be able to approve what the permissions the “app” will use before execution
  • Apps should be able to depend resources created by other Apps reliably
  • User shouldn’t have to deal with naming conflicts
  • App developer shouldn’t have to deal with naming conflicts
  • Apps should be able to add or update a policy in Qubes without having access to add or update every policy in Qubes
  • Apps should have the ability to update templates without having the ability to update every template
  • User should have the ability to choose the templates used by Apps if they have multiple supported templates installed
  • User shouldn’t have to alter the state of their system to install an app
  • User should be able to create their own App repository
  • User should be able to uninstall the App and have all resources created by that app removed
  • User should be able to update Apps
  • Apps should be able to define relationships between domains created or request relationships to other domains
  • Users should be able to install apps in a low trust mode to try before you buy
  • Users should be able to install the same App multiple times
1 Like

In progress. See: Qubes Architecture Next Steps: The New Qrexec Policy System | Qubes OS

2 Likes

Best not to rely on the good intentions of the developer of an RPM to respect the appropriate conventions, ideally prefix should be enforced.

No one will rely on anything except the review by the person
curating whatever distribution method is agreed.

I’m not sure that’s going to be easy, I imagine it’s going to be rather painful, but seems possible to do.

When I said “easy” to loop over elements I meant trivial.

Any docs on how that works?

The best intro to managementVM is still at

top.sls yes, *.top no

I gave a reference to the use of top files in salt - I dont understand
why you are still arguing this. If you use salt at all you will know that
top files are widely used.

How do I guarantee your kali template is there without enabling the tops?

Sure that’s trivial, it’s just that those rpms are going to have the god mode in dom0, which is kind of weird for installing a kali template.

God mode? Do you think the same when installing packages from fedora or
Qubes? I feel we are talking past each other. There is no greater risk
here.

Yeah I think ideally it would run in a separate VM, with limited API access to the admin api or something but you mentioned that being in not a good state at present.

I dont recall saying this, and am to tired to listen back. It’s perfectly
workable and I use a managementVM regularly.

What you need to know is that you can install this package, and you
will have a printer settings item, and you can then print from your
applications. You do this - you can print.
[/quote]

Yes except if you click install and it doesn’t allow you to print because of some modification you have made to your base template

If you’re capable of modifying your templates, then you probably dont
need a packaged solution.
But a packaged salt formula can enforce the requirements in (some)
template - that’s the point.

I’m starting to run low on energy for this discussion sadly, not sure I’m effectively getting across my concerns.

I share both of your feelings.

I agree that top files are a thing in Salt, there is only one top file, it is called top.sls. Qubes adds files that can be named blah.top. Files with the extension .top do not exist in vanilla Salt.

I cant believe we are spending time on this.

There can be many top files, depending on environment, and use case.
The default name is top.sls.
You can have multiple top files, named as you will. If you group them
(as some people do) it makes sense to name them after state - some
people use name-top.sls, we use file names like name.top.
The state module has state.top in vanilla salt which will load any
arbitrarily named file as a top file.

I think the Qubes implementation is a neat way of building state.

You seem upset by this conversation I’m going to stop replying, I didn’t mean to upset you.

1 Like

You should see me when I am upset. :slight_smile:
I can be short at times, for reasons. If that was too much, I apologise
to you and the forum.
Dont stop replying on this thread or any other. New input will always
be read, if not welcomed. Spazzatoio nuovo spazza ben la casa.

@deeplow - can you edit my last comment to remove the first sentence and
anything else you think appropriate: the final paragraph? - I dont know
how to do this via email. Thanks.

3 Likes

@restive please do feel welcome to continue this and other conversations on the forum. You are more than welcome!!! Hopefully this kind of stuff doesn’t happen again.

Done. Yes, I would ask for some refrain on your part of making those kind of comments – trying to create a welcoming space here :slight_smile:! And thanks for going back on your comment (that makes my moderation job way less stressful).

1 Like

Hey, thank you everyone.

Thank you @restive for the feedback, @unman and @deeplow for the acknowledgment and the amends. I cannot understate how important I think these last three posts are.

On a personal note: I had withdrawn from this thread a few days ago myself because I felt that during the last few exchanges the conversation had become louder than I’m comfortable with. I wasn’t sure how to provide that feedback however, despite thinking about it about it quite a bit, and I appreciate enormously the fact that you did @restive, thank you!

1 Like

That doesn’t sound like a lot of fun for you.
Hopefully we will be on better terms by the time that happens :slight_smile:

It wasn’t just the last response that bothered me, the way you have responded through this discussion seems to communicate that you don’t think I have anything of value to contribute, which hurts more because you are a developer in Qubes.

I don’t want you to feel bad about this or change your opinion, but rather try to see my point of view so at least when you disagree with me it’s from a place of respect. I would suggest rereading our discussion with that in mind.

Thank you <3 Yeah. Honestly I’m not worried by a community that has problems, I’m worried by a community that doesn’t acknowledge problems or overreacts to them. You seem to be doing a good job of this.

Thank you for saying so :slight_smile: <3

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: SaltStack error: Template was specified incorrectly: False