Salt ignoring enabled .top file

I’m currently trying to get started with Salt, looking at unman’s shaker repository for examples. I’ve successfully been able to write a sls/top file pair that clones a template and changes its color, but I’m having trouble installing packages in the new template.

I made a file /srv/salt/test/clone.sls which clones a base template and changes its color, and /srv/salt/test/clone.top which tells dom0 to run test.clone. Enabling this top file and running sudo qubesctl state.highstate works just as I expect it to, a new template is made and its color changed to what I specified.

I then made /sys/salt/test/install.sls which lists packages to install, and /sys/salt/test/install.top which says to run test.install on the newly copied template. However, enabling this top file and running sudo qubesctl state.highstate does not run install.sls; only the test.clone instructions are run. Both top files show up as enabled when listing all enabled top files.

What am I missing here? I can post the sls/top files if needed.

qubesctl by default applies only dom0 states. See its options, especially --templates and --targets.

1 Like

I shouldn’t have tried to read the docs while sleepy, completely skipped over that part. Thanks!