Safest way to save data when using Qubes + Whonix

I am using Qubes and Whonix. What is the safest way to save persistent data? I can’t find anything on a persistence mode for Whonix. Therefore, a USB drive encrypted with LUKS could be an alternative?

1 Like

what kind of qubes whonix you’re using

that ok but not so optimal

1 Like

If you are using an AppVM, anything inside your home folder (and some other places) will persist.

Why, and what would be your advice?

first, answer my question

Oh sorry, I didn’t read your question. What do you mean by “what kind”? I use a Whonix VM within Qubes.

dvm or just normal appvm?

1 Like

What is the safest way to save persistent data? I can’t find anything on a persistence mode for Whonix.

If you are using the default anon-whonix VM, saved files are persistent. The disposable whonix-ws-15-dvm is not persistent and will not save files after shutting it down. You can quickly check if the VM is disposable or not by checking the application menu and seeing if it says ‘Disposable:’ or ‘Domain:’. If you need to copy or move a file from the whonix VM to another VM, you can right click on the file and select ‘Copy to VM’ or ‘Move to VM’.

Therefore, a USB drive encrypted with LUKS could be an alternative?

Why, and what would be your advice?

That is doable, but it shouldn’t be necessary if you just need to access the files on that computer; just keep in mind the security considerations of connecting USB devices to VMs.

1 Like

only /home , /usr/local , /rw and bind-dirs are persistent

according to Thamil13 thread model, doing it like that is very dangerous, open a dvm then copy file tho that dvm and check for anything suspicious then copy it to a appvm is better way to do that

1 Like

I don’t see how copying files to another AppVm is dangerous, if you always open them in a DisposableVM.

1 Like

copying file to another AppVM is mostly safe

1 Like

Correct me if my assumptions are incorrect, I think OP is accustomed to the tails environment and mistaking using a disposable whonix vm as the same.

To @Thamil13, if this is correct, when you need to save files from a disp vm session, just move the files to the VM you store your files, such as the vault for offline storage to be accessed later. Just use right click and ‘move to vm’ on the files you want to so-called keep persistent.

Does this help?

1 Like