Running IOS/Android Apps In Qubes?

I want to be able to run IOS/Android apps inside a Qube.

I can imagine that can be done with either an emulator installed in a Debian Qube… or maybe there is a way to install IOS/Android OS in a standalone Qube?

Have you done this?

If you had to run an IOS/Android app using Qubes, how would you do it?

1 Like

There’s a lineage os iso, download that and then it’s standart procedure for standalones…

To clarify this will run as a standalone: https://download.lineageos.org/
Which device would I choose?
Is it dependent on the Qubes machine hardware?

Try it out with a Google Pixel 4a / 5 as device. But I guess you have to play around a bit if that really is needed. But maybe it isn’t really dependent on the machine hardware.

1 Like

There is a project called Android x86 that runs quite well in an HVM, provided you allocate it enough RAM.

As for iOS, that’s a little more difficult……

2 Likes

there also anbox to run android app too (obviously not a os)

Did you ever get android running? If so it’d be cool to add the template to the qubes-templates-community-testing repository. (you can download from the qubes-templates-community-testing repository with a couple of clicks in 4.1 using the new “qvm-template-gui” tool)

I thought in qubes you cant run other hypervisor apps inside a Qubes vm like vmware, virtualbox, etc. I think anbox falls into that category.

FYI from what i remember anbox only runs android version 7

Hey @alzer89 if you ever have chance write a step by step tutorial for the noobs on how to set this up it would be greatly appreciated i am sure by many

Yes!!! This would be awesome. @Emily at the very least if you get android up and running please post back step by step guide for rest of us.

wow so cool thanks for sharing i did not know this!!

how is that possible? Aren’t those image files for LOS on pixel devices going to be for arm based CPU?

I think I found the LineageOS ISO for x86 here

https://www.android-x86.org/releases/releasenote-cm-x86-14-1-r5.html

When you get it working please post back step by step how you did it

it different (anbox is not a hypervisor)

i don’t use anbox, but i remember it android 9

Basic rundown of how to boot an HVM from an ISO

Any ISO. FreeBSD, Android-x86, Windows, MacOS, TempleOS, <Insert Linux Distro Name Here>…

1. Get your ISO of choice (keep it in a qube, or flash it to an external USB, they both work)
  2. Q-Menu → Qubes Tools → Create Qubes VM
  3. Choose Type: “StandaloneVM (fully peristent)”
  4. Tick “Launch settings after creation”
  5. Click OK, and it will open the qube settings window
    Bear in mind that some ISOs are very fussy (WINDOWS!!!…Oh sorry, my tourette’s is playing up… :stuck_out_tongue: ) about how much RAM they get…
  6. In the “Advanced” tab of the qube settings, click “Boot from CD-ROM”
  7. In the dialogue box that appears, select either the block device (external drive) or the ISO file in the qube you downloaded it in, and click “OK”

That should start an HVM booting from your ISO

I’m sure with a bit more time I could churn something out with pictures, but in the lead-up to christmas, it’s a little hectic on my end… :frowning:

Also, I haven’t had much of a play around with Android-x86. It works quite nicely, but I haven’t “gotten my hands dirty” with it yet. I’m not quite sure if Android apps are architecture-specific, or if they all just “work”…

2 Likes

I think he’s assuming your using the android sdk tools, which include a arm emulator (probably qemu). I believe you can then select the hardware that’s being emulated from a list of possibilities. (note: not actually using that, so confirm before trusting that)

1 Like

Woooowwww! Thanks for the qvm-template-gui mention, I had no idea about that!!

They probably should put a link to it in the “Qubes Tools” section of the qubes start button, but they probably don’t know what to call it since “Qubes Template Manager” already goes to something else

Noting that both of the tools should have been given a prefix of qubes- not qvm- before release.

B

are anybody rich to a way for that?, because we need to make a guide for all users and I will translate it into Arabic.

@ddevz @ewokky Hey, I realize this was posted quite a while ago, but I came across this topic recently, and I have a working Android template.

I would be happy to add it here, I just don’t know how to go about doing that.

I could also do a tutorial if you are still interested.

Didn’t see this, so never mind, my bad…

2 Likes