Restoring backups from 4.0.4 to 4.1, files missing in home directory

As the title states. Not sure what I can do next? I tried three different qube restore files belonging to three seperate qubes. All same result.

One has sublime text and libredocs etc. The applications run, but the notes and files are gone.

As well I have a LAMP server on a standalone fedora qube cloned from a template originally. The databases for my localhost stuff still exist, but my browser settings and all plugins, and all history is gone. Same with files, all gone.

When the qubes were restored it said “finished successfully” but did see some errors. Not sure if it’s useful info so I’ll just copy here for reference.

Restoring Qube1
Extracting data: 8 GiB to restore
ERROR: unable to extract files for /var/tmp/restoredddq/vm21/private.img.009, tar output: tar: Unexpected EOF in archive tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now. Error extracting data: retrieved backup size exceed expected size, if you believe this is okay, use --ignore-size-limit
->

After error says finished and the template does run as I’ve mentioned. Not sure if it matters but there is 90% of space on my drive, in now way am I exceeding the storage space limit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank ytou.

EDIT: Still have access to the original 4.0.4 qubes install, so if there is anything special I should do to recreate the backups, can try and am eager to experiment with what leads to solution. Much appreciated.

It’s a different kind of size limit, see #7198. Until that bug is fixed, the workaround is indeed to use

qvm-backup-restore --ignore-size-limit
1 Like