Remote control QubesOS - DWService qube

Hi,

I know it should be considered as a security whole, however, I use my Qubes installation as main OS, for almost everything.

I’ll have remote course where my teacher needs access to my computer using great, open-source DWService.
So I have to set up a qube where I’d install DWAgent which will allow externally to use apps from qube, of course mouse and keyboard interaction is needed.

Current state:
Debain-10 based qube (of course in new, separated template)
DWAgent installed and running
Almost there. Mouse is able to move, select, left/right click. Unfortunately keyboard doesn’t work.

From the security site it’s interesting topic too, as we may need to protect from every external input, especially this kind.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you seen this one? It has contributions from the Qubes developers and is maintained by the developer of whonix:

Edit: It’s not yet well documented and I’m not sure it’s finished, but worth looking into. Here are some related docs

1 Like

But I think the above-linked is probably for full computer control. What you would want in that situation is at most give access to one VM, which could be the case with the DWService you mention (haven’t looked into it yet).

Interesting. My assumptions would be that the mouse would be the trickiest part.

1 Like
2 Likes

I have some strong feelings against having any remote support available with an install. It defeats the principle.

However, if a user wishes to have remote support he/she can install the required package to do so.

Under no circumstances should it be included in an install as this will make Qubes security features useless.

It behooves any remote developers not to provided the user a solution to cancel that access at any moment.

Incidentally, if you were horsing around with the safe remote https://www.qubes-os.orgg/doc/safe-remote-ttys/ and you wanted to cancel the access? Would any of you know how to do it?

1 Like

Thank you all for support! :slight_smile:

After reading yours articles and digging into that topic I explained problem to my teacher so we ended up with just screen-sharing.

I’ll leave this open for anyone interested in Qubes remote control (but if you want it can be closed)

2 Likes

Me too.

Umm……what?!?!?! :woozy_face:

I mean, I can understand if you’re doing an exam, similar to the concept of anti-cheat software for gaming, but fullaccess…? That’s a bit much…

I hope you passed this course with flying colours :sweat_smile:

———

I use qubes-remote-support for work machines. It proves very useful when someone borks their machine and cannot describe (not rectify) what they’ve actually done.

No, it’s not. The scripts are solid, but they were written for Whonix 15, and we needed to do a bit of tweaking to get them to work with Whonix 16. We also added a function to be able to specify the dom0 user name (just in case it isn’t user).

For the most part, it works fairly well, albeit with noticeable latency (it uses Tor), but so far it’s been very useful.

Will be submitting a merge request, so hopefully these tweaks benefit others.

Yes. I wouldn’t be giving anyone you don’t fully trust access to your Qubes OS machine with qubes-remote-support. It’s more of a tool for “help, I’ve borked my machine and don’t know how to fix it, please help!” :joy:

I completely agree, but it is really helpful when you’re trying to teach someone how to use Qubes OS if they know they have a “rescue button”. It seems to put their mind at ease a little more than “If you forget your LUKS password, your files are gone, I cannot recover them, nobody can…” :grin:

What, I didn’t fully understand the use-case originally, but if this is the case, screw it. Professors should never have access to student’s devices. Even if for exams. If this is the case, I suggest a student boycott, protests, etc. and upscaling this to data protection authorities of your country (if that exists). Utterly unacceptable…

If you don’t have time to coordinate a boycott, give your professor access to a qube. It should work like normal. The only difference is that they’ll see some white margins around apps. But they’ll only see that qube’s application windows. Using the great power of Qubes do to single-user boycott.

1 Like

100% agree.

@BBro, if you don’t mind saying, what course were you doing that required your professor to have complete control over your machine?

I honestly can’t think of any course that would require the teacher to be able to control the students’ computers…

Why not try Xephyr?

1 Like