Reinstalling whonix template

I’m trying to reinstall whonix template but it fails with this error

Package qubes-template-whonix-gw-15 available, but not installed.
No match for argument: qubes-template-whonix-gw-15
Error: No packages marked for reinstall
Fetching updates failed with code1; press Enter to exit

I’ve followed the whonix wiki for Qubes OS: Whonix Uninstall and Reinstall template guides.

You know guys, if you “backup” things you wouldn’t have to reinstall anything.
Just have to delete messed up template and restore from “backup”. Much easier and it keeps all your settings before the template went south.

1 Like

well i use the stock template and never applied changes but since a few weeks i get messages of existig UUIDs and the salt upgrade machanism fails… i dont backup stock templates.

Are you using R4.1?
If so, please check:

I had this issue recently.
The documentation needs clarifying, whilst for R4.x the whonix templates are in community templates repo, in R4.1 it is in the community testing repo.

If you are on R4.1, the issue can be fixed by enabling the community templates testing repo, and then following the qubes template reinstall guide.

1 Like

I’m guessing that this is either:

1. A temporary thing until 4.1 becomes stable.
  2. A general policy for all testing releases.

If it’s (2), then I agree it should be documented, since it will continue to be true of every testing release, and this information will be useful for testers. However, if it’s just (1), then I don’t think this should be documented, because then the documentation will probably become false as soon as 4.1 is released.

@marmarek, @unman, can you shed some light on this?

2 Likes

Yes I was able to install the template by enabling the templates-community-testing repo and then issuing this command: sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community qubes-template-whonix-gw-15 & sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing qubes-template-whonix-ws-15

Note that the whonix wiki states to use the --action=upgrade or --action=reinstall argument which clearly failed to work in my case.

A bit confusing that R4.1 testers can’t install the template from the community repo which the whonix wiki insists on using.