Re: [qubes-users] How to setup Win10 HVM ?

I have tried to use the method that I have described above to create a Win 10 HVM in Qubes OS (R4.0.2) on a new working pc.

And I have begun step 5 reaching the step where it would like to download Windows 7.

But then I get this error: “SSL: public key does not match pinned public key! Failed to download Windows! Retrying in 10 seconds…”

Then my question is: Can I just cancel the downloading and start manually downloading Windows 10, or will I miss downloading some needed files to get a Win 10 HVM function properly with Qubes OS ?

I will very much appreciate a fast answer as I need to get the Windows 10 HVM up and running before Tuesday (10. of November). And sorry, I know it’s a bit late.

søndag den 5. april 2020 kl. 20.42.40 UTC+2 skrev M:

I have reach the following point in the install.sh file and below I have marked the important missing parts of the installation process.

Can I somehow just execute the parts I have marked with yellow below in Dom0, and if so how ?

echo -e “{BLUE}[i]{NC} Please check for a “Good signature” from GPG (Verify it out-of-band if necessary)…” >&2
qvm-run -q “$resources_qube” “gpg --keyserver keys.openpgp.org --recv-keys 018FB9DE6DFA13FB18FB5552F9B90D44F83DD5F2”
qvm-run -p “$resources_qube” “cd ‘$resources_dir’ && git verify-commit $(git rev-list --max-parents=0 HEAD)”

echo -e “{BLUE}[i]{NC} Downloading Windows 7 (Other versions of Windows can be downloaded later by using download-windows.sh)…” >&2
qvm-run -p “$resources_qube” “cd ‘$resources_dir/windows-media/isos’ && ./download-windows.sh win7x64-ultimate”

echo -e “{BLUE}[i]{NC} Shutting down $resources_qube…” >&2
qvm-shutdown --wait “$resources_qube”

echo -e “{BLUE}[i]{NC} Air gapping $resources_qube…” >&2
qvm-prefs “$resources_qube” netvm “”

echo -e “{BLUE}[i]{NC} Installing Qubes Windows Tools…” >&2
sudo qubes-dom0-update -y qubes-windows-tools

echo -e “{BLUE}[i]{NC} Copying qvm-create-windows-qube.sh to Dom0…” >&2
qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-colour-output “$resources_qube” “cat ‘$resources_dir/qvm-create-windows-qube.sh’” > qvm-create-windows-qube.sh

Allow execution of script

chmod +x qvm-create-windows-qube.sh
echo -e “{GREEN}[+]{NC} Installation complete!”

søndag den 8. november 2020 kl. 16.31.36 UTC+1 skrev M:

Now I have found a way to make it work without getting Windows 7 downloaded first. And I have updated the procedure above and inserted the updated/edited version below.

Updated steps to setup a Win 10 HVM

How to setup a Win 10 HVM according to this page: https://github.com/elliotkillick/qvm-create-windows-qube ?

See below for my detailed description on how to use this method:

1. Open your Firefox browser in a VM - for example in the untrusted VM.

2. To save the install.sh script file: Open this page: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/elliotkillick/qvm-create-windows-qube/master/install.sh and save it as install.sh

3. To copy the file to dom0: Open the dom0 terminal and execute this command: qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-color-output untrusted “cat ‘/home/user/Downloads/install.sh’” > install.sh

4. To check that the file is copied to dom0: Execute this command in the dom0 terminal: ls

5. To get Qubes OS to execute the script in the “install.sh” file: Execute this command in the dom0 terminal: chmod +x install.sh && ./install.sh
    If the installation script ends up in a loop where the pc is trying to download Windows 7 but can’t, then close the dom0 terminal, open a new one and follow these steps (they are the same as the 4 last steps in the script inside the “install.sh” file):

5a) Execute this command in the dom0 terminal: qvm-prefs windows-mgmt netvm

5b) To download qubes-windows-tools (for easy copy and moving fiiles to and from the Win10 HVM, etc.), execute this command in the dom0 terminal: sudo qubes-dom0-update -y qubes-windows-tools

5c) To copy “qvm-create-windows-qube.sh” to dom0, execute this command in the dom0 terminal: qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-color-output windows-mgmt "cat ‘/home/user//Documents/qvm-create-windows-qube/qvm-create-windows-qube.sh’ " > qvm-create-windows-qube.sh

5d) To make the file able to be executed, execute this command in the dom0 terminal: chmod +x qvm-create-windows-qube.sh

1. Download the version of Windows 10 you want to use to the “windows-mgmt” VM.
    You can execute the script in the file "download-windows.sh , but it might not work - I couldn’t make it work. In that case, do the following:

6a) Open the “Qube Settings” for the domain “windows-mgmt”. Under “Network”, choose the “default” one and click on “Apply”.

6b) Open the domains Firefox browser and search the web for “how to download windows 10”.

One of the first results is a link to a Microsoft webpage from which it is possible to download the file in the local language.
The file gets downloaded to the download folder in the domain.

6c) Open the “Qube Settings” for the domain “windows-mgmt”. Under “Network”, choose “(none)” and click on “Apply”.

6d) Move or copy the downloaded Win10 ISO-file to this destination: /Documents/qvm-create-windows-qube/windows-media/isos

6e) Open the terminal in dom0 and execute the following script (remember to write the name of the ISO-file you downloaded in step 6b instead of “filename”): ./qvm-create-windows-qube.sh -n sys-whonix -oyw -i filename.iso -a win10x64-pro.xml Win10
Info: “Win10” will be the name of the domain.

Do NOT close the terminal before it says the installation was complete (successfully) ! Let the terminal do the job, it restarts the qube and so on when it is necessary.

1. When you get into Windows there might appear three message boxes. One saying that the pc has to be restarted. A second one saying that drive D has to be formatted. And the third one saying something about a private drive. Just click on “Yes” or “OK”. Then Windows will close immediately and restart. Afterwards the terminal should write that the installation was completed successfully.
    When Windows start up again you probably do not have a functioning internet connection.

2. To get on the internet: Shut down the Win10 HVM.

3. To view the Windows GUI-window again the next time you start the Win10 HVM, execute the following command in the dom0 terminal: qvm-features <windows_qube> gui 1

Write the name of the domain (for example “Win10”), instead of <windows_qube> .

1. Start the Win10 HVM again by going into the “Qubes Menu” -> “Win10” -> either click on “Start” or on a application shortcut to start the Win10 HVM.

2. To change the size of the GUI-window, change the screen resolution from within Windows so that it best fits your screen.
    Info: It isn’t possible to get the GUI-window to be as big as the screen, but only almost as big.
    In case you don’t know how to change the display resolution in Windows, here is a way to do it: Right-click on the desktop -> “Display Settings”, and in the window that appears, change the display resolution under “Scale and layout” -> “Display resolution”.

Now your Win10 HVM should act almost as a normal Win 10 installation.

søndag den 8. november 2020 kl. 16.46.00 UTC+1 skrev M:

Hi
Well I am happy with my Windows 10 configuration. However I still have problems with installing Qubes Tools for Windows 4.0.1.3, link: 1 . As far as step Nr. 8 everything is fine. But my GUI of Windows 10 is not starting afterwards. Can you please send me an instruction on how to install the Qubes Tools for Windows? The name of my Windows 10 HVM in Qubes Manager is called windows-10-clone-1-xen : It would be great if you could send me instructions with the necessary commands for installing Qubes Tools for Windows in my HVM. Thank you. Stay healthy & safe Best

Knut – You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “qubes-users” group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to . To view this discussion on the web visit .

Have you done this:

1. To view the Windows GUI-window again the next time you start the Win10 HVM, execute the following command in the dom0 terminal: qvm-features <windows_qube> gui 1

Write the name of the domain (for example “Win10”), instead of <windows_qube> .

To install the Qubes Tools for Windows, I would try this if I was you:

5b) To download qubes-windows-tools (for easy copy and moving fiiles to and from the Win10 HVM, etc.), execute this command in the dom0 terminal: sudo qubes-dom0-update -y qubes-windows-tools

If this isn’t enough, then I guess you properly have to do the following also (but I don’t know ! - I’m not a very experienced Qubes-user):

5c) To copy “qvm-create-windows-qube.sh” to dom0, execute this command in the dom0 terminal: qvm-run -p --filter-escape-chars --no-color-output windows-mgmt "cat ‘/home/user//Documents/qvm-create-windows-qube/qvm-create-windows-qube.sh’ " > qvm-create-windows-qube.sh

5d) To make the file able to be executed, execute this command in the dom0 terminal: chmod +x qvm-create-windows-qube.sh

6e) Open the terminal in dom0 and execute the following script (remember to write the name of the ISO-file you downloaded in step 6b instead of “filename”): ./qvm-create-windows-qube.sh -n sys-whonix -oyw -i filename.iso -a win10x64-pro.xml Win10
Info: “Win10” will be the name of the domain.

Do NOT close the terminal before it says the installation was complete (successfully) ! Let the terminal do the job, it restarts the qube and so on when it is necessary.

If that doesn’t work, then you may have to delete both the windows-mgmt VM and the Win10 HVM and follow my procedure from the beginning to the end.

In worst case you would have to start from a backup before you began the creation of the windows-mgmt VM and installation of the Win10 HVM or install Qubes again to make it function properly. But hopefully you won’t have to do that. Ask others in here before you do this in case they can tell you if and how this can be avoided - if you doesn’t succeed with my suggested steps above.

mandag den 9. november 2020 kl. 13.21.11 UTC+1 skrev Knut von Walter:

Hi

well I just ran the command in the dom0 terminal: sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-windows-tools . This successfully installed qubes-windows-tools.noarch 4.0.1-3 in dom0 :

However in order to test my successful installation I tried to test my clipboard to copy text from AppVM vault to StandaloneVM windows-10. This was not working.

As far as I know this is the main feature of Qubes-Windows-Tools.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Does anyone have an idea how to get my clipboard working?

Thank you.

Best

Knut

– You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “qubes-users” group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to . To view this discussion on the web visit .

– You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “qubes-users” group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to . To view this discussion on the web visit .

I think if it’s possible to right-click on a file -> “Send to” -> “Copy to other VM” and the file gets copied to the chosen VM, then the installed “Qubes Windows Tools” seems to work properly.

fredag den 13. november 2020 kl. 11.29.36 UTC+1 skrev Knut von Walter:

Yes, I can do this with my configuration.