Qvm-prefs: error: no such property: 'template_for_dispvms'

I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong.

For an existing, working, non-networked debian-10 based qube called printer, I try:

`user@dom0 $   qvm-prefs printer template_for_dispvms True
qvm-prefs: error: no such property: 'template_for_dispvms'

How could this be?

There is no checkbox I can see in the gui settings, either.

(Edit: formatting)

What is the output of qvm-prefs printer klass?

As far as I know, the StandaloneVM cannot be used as a template for DVM

But Qubes 4.1 seems to be able to do it.

1 Like

Thanks.

Devil’s choice: install 3rd party printer-company’s software on your regular template but isolate against files-to-print, or; isolate printer work on a standalone, but all documents pass through (including opening them to print) the same virtual machine (i.e. wateringhole/honeypot).

I don’t know enough to understand which of those is more risky. My guess is that the second is safer. If this is a big risk on a Linux OS anyway?

Would really like to try 4.1, but will wait until fully baked.

For reference, you can clone the StandaloneVM as a regular template and use it to create the DVM template.

Example

qvm-clone --class TemplateVM printer printer-template
qvm-create -t printer-template -l red printer-dvm
qvm-prefs printer-dvm template_for_dispvms True

This topic may help you avoid the devil’s choice.

2 Likes

Exactly that’s the correct way to go.

Lazy people may also want to use their default template (i.e. skip step 1) and install the necessary 3rd party software inside printer-dvm (not the default template!) to some directory that persists, e.g. /usr/local inside printer-dvm. That might not work for all software though. cups usually has all printer drivers though, so most people just need to configure cups.

For printing one would then start a disposable VM based on printer-dvm, qvm-copy the file to print there and print it.

If you use a USB printer directly connected to Qubes OS, you might have to create a named disposable VM and assign the printer to it. For network printers one would have to configure the respective netvms and allow the respective connections.

Brilliant, thankyou very much all.