Qui-device doesn't see disks

i need migrate my current qubes to new PC with 4.2 version but data (block) devices this section has disappeared too so can’t transfer backup files to disk i see some other users have the same issue and not fixed

wouldn’t it be simpler to decrypt the main drive and plugging it into another qubes e.g. to some appvm machine without internet and copy backup file from the main drive to these vm and send it on usb then “recover” those qubes on already working normally 4.2 QUBES is that a good plan ?

The most important
In this case, will the machines with the backup still be safe after the early decryption of the disk and the loss of isolation provided by Qubes between machines ? because the backup as I understand it is encrypted with passphrase which I gave when making the copy and mean it’s all is encrypted ? Thanks

What if you try manually with qvm-block ls in a dom0 terminal, do you see your disk there?

If that’s the case, you can attach the disk to the qube of your choice with:

qvm-block attach vmname dom0:diskname

If you have a backup on the other system, you can mount it on your new system if the disk is accessible. Use cryptsetup to decrypt the disk and access the backup file from dom0 or a qube.

The backup is encrypted with the passphrase you specified when you created it. All you need to do is decrypt the disk, mount the correct lvm volume (root volume if it’s in dom0), and use the backup in the recovery tool on your new system.

1 Like

thank you for your answer however … before i read your answer i tried to fix it with other ways because generally i broke it by creating sys - usb and yesterday unfortunately i locked usb controllers in created sys usb ( i do exactly like this

Add this line to /etc/default/grub in dom0

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="$GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX usbcore.authorized_default=0

“Create a qube named sys-usb with no network, assign it 400 MB of memory and 2 CPU, don’t use memory balancing. Make it of type HVM, in the device settings, give it the USB controller. Make it start at boot.” and after boot like below

i can’t get to Qubes i can type password to decrypt but unfortunately with user login and password keyboard mouse is not working , how can i delete these sys usb from grub or idk just unlock usb ? because before I upload it this way with cryptsetup I want to check your advice with manual entry of these commands thanks

Disable qubes autostart and remove usbcore.authorized_default=0 from GRUB like this:

1 Like

thanks ! now all works fine

last question what line i should remove from my /etc/default/grub

GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=“true”
GRUB_THEME=“/boot/grub2/themes/qubes/theme.txt”
GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT=“console=none dom0_mem=min:1024M dom0_mem=max:4096M ucode=scan smt=off gnttab_max_frames=2048 gnttab_max_maptrack_frames=4096”
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=“true”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“$GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX usbcore.authorized_default=0”
. /etc/default/grub.qubes-kernel-vm-support
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“$GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”$GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX rd.qubes.hide_all_usb"

All lines with usbcore.authorized_default=0 and rd.qubes.hide_all_usb.