Questions about Default-dvm

Hi, I found myself in a situation when I accidentally installed something in default-dvm without realizing I was in default-dvm at the time. I have removed default-dvm and installed a new default-dvm called default-standard-dvm. I have a few questions:

Will this impact the sys templates since I had to switch them from default-dvm to my default-standard-dvm?

What is the purpose of default-mgmt-dvm and do I need to reinstall it as well?

Will changing or removing the default-dvm have any consequences?

I also mistakenly used dd (to wipe something) on xvda instead of my USB device while working in a disp vm (dispXXXX). As a result, my disp vm (dispXXXX) stopped functioning, so I powered it down and launched a new disp vm (dispXXXX) while correctly dd’ing the USB device. Will this impact my device outside the dispvm (dispXXXX) in any way?

1 Like

You dont say how you created default-standard-dvm, but generally the
answer wouldbe “No”

This qube is used to spawn disposables for management use, e.g using
salt, console access, etc
It is a separate qube from default-dvm, so you do not need to touch it.

If you change it, then every disposable that is spawned from it will be
affected.
If you remove it,then any activities that depend on having a default
disposable template will be affected. (e.g qubes by default use
default-dvm when spawning disposables.)

No

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.
When I comment in the Forum I speak for myself.

1 Like

You dont say how you created default-standard-dvm, but generally the
answer wouldbe “No”

I created default-standard-dvm via the Qube Manager assigning a template than enabling “Disposable Template” option in the advanced tab and than setting the default disposable template as default-standard-dvm in Qubes OS global config

This qube is used to spawn disposables for management use, e.g using
salt, console access, etc
It is a separate qube from default-dvm, so you do not need to touch it. (default-mgmt-dvm)

Do I need to configure it to point it towards default-standard-dvm or anything else? Since I switched from default-dvm

Is the configuration and setup of it good, or are there any issues that need to be addressed or changed

1 Like

No.

Yes.

1 Like