[QUESTION] Choosing GPU

I decided to build computer and I want it to be the most compatibility with Qubes if It is possible.

I have problems with choosing GPU, as IGP won’t work.
I chose AMD x470 chipset motherboard

I need to work on a at least 2 1080p monitors in same time. I’m looking forward to work on 3 in nearly future.
I don’t want to have any problems like NVIDIA has. (There is separated troubleshooting part in documentation)…
I won’t be playing games of course. I’ll be programming, sometimes maybe I’ll watch a film and rarely I’ll be doing something in darktable. So there’s no need to GPU be the best/newest. To be honest I also care about price.

What do you think about something from AMD. In HCL and only model I’ve found is Radeon r7 370

Could you help me please choose responsible, do you know something about mentioned Radeon? :slight_smile:

I need to work on a at least 2 1080p monitors in same time. I’m looking forward to work on 3 in nearly future.
I don’t want to have any problems like NVIDIA has. (There is separated troubleshooting part in documentation)…
I won’t be playing games of course. I’ll be programming, sometimes maybe I’ll watch a film and rarely I’ll be doing something in darktable. So there’s no need to GPU be the best/newest. To be honest I also care about price.
The short summary of the GPU situation is:

• Older nvidia work fine. I’ve been running a 780 without problem for a
    long time.
  • Newer nvidia only work on kernel-latest. A bunch of patches for
    nouveau came through enabling this. Previously, they did not work at
    all. I know this covers 1000 series, but I belive it also covers 1600
    and 2000 series cards.
  • Older AMD seem to work reasonably well, but there is not a lot of
    information around about these.
  • Current generation AMD can work on kernel-latest. Usually patches for
    these cards come relatively quickly, but there are often bugs in getting
    them through Xen. I have tested an RX 5700 XT. It started working on and
    off about 8 months ago. Became stable about three months back.

If you’re not gaming and not pushing too many pixels, go for a low end
older card. You’ll be using open source drivers anyway, so the age is
really just stability.

1 Like

I’d say get a second-hand rx 570 (I assume your PSU will have a GPU power plug) or other polaris card, they should have excellent out of the box support by now and are dirt cheap and highly available due to mining. Will be ample for desktop work.

1 Like