Query TUXEDO InfinityBook Pro 14 - Gen7

Hi Chris, Thanks for stepping in! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This device has NVIDIA GPU so this one:

module_blacklist=nouveau

has worked and the installer loaded! :star_struck:

I will now go through the installation steps and report right a way.

1 Like

Observations during the install:

• The NVIDIA graphics during installation was very slow, mouse lags
  • The GPU or CPU fans are running fast, probably at maximum speed
  • The chassis got extremely hot, not able to keep fingers above function keys
  • Got to the login screen - icons are super tiny, because of high screen resolution

So I guess the next step is hot to get NVIDIA working? @ChrisA Please :pray:

1 Like

Which ISO did you install?

If you installed the R4.1.1, would you be willing to test the R4.1.2-rcX with a 6.1.X kernel?

Btw: I don’t have a NVIDIA GPU, so I only know about those, by searching the forum and reading others posts … :-/

1 Like

Yes, I will. Give me a few hours. I would like to try a few things.

1 Like

I have now tested this RC and made the following observations:

• The installer loaded without any additional NVIDIA options in grub loader
  • The graphics work normally as expected, no mouse lag, windows move smoothly
  • The there was no heat felt on the chassis, fan is absolutely silent or operates normally
  • The icons and font sizes are still appear tiny on the high resolution screen
  • No screen flickering or tearing of any kind
  • Suspend - goes to suspend successfully. but can’t wake up from it
  • Smooth YouTube video video playback in default personal AppVM, default FireFox window size

So far, I am happy with everything (can live without suspend) :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

What else is there to test to complete hardware compatibility testing?

1 Like

Thanks a lot for testing! – and nice that the Release Candidate worked better! :slight_smile:

Maybe include some trivial things, like:

• Does sound work?
  • Does network (wired/wireless)?
  • If it has a webcam - does that work?
  • Any other devices?

– I assume the first two are “Yes” (otherwise YouTube gets a bit boring) … but your word is better than my guess! :wink:

Other that that, you should be able to run

qubes-hcl-report

in dom0 and get a report (that should include the R4.1.2-rcX & 6.1.X - but please check).

Wrt. suspend: There has been a few posts lately, about suspend … have you checked those?

1 Like

Hi @ChrisA

I confirm that:

• Sound works
  • WiFi network works out of the box. USB-C to Ethernet also works, but has to be manually connected to sys-net.
  • Webcam works

The makeup from suspend is still an issue. I added mem_sleep_default=deep option to the kernel, device goes to sleep BUT laptop responds to key press weirdly: powers on, black screen and shuts off. Definitely would be nice to get suspend to work correctly.

@ All please help!

I am going to skip this for now and continue with NVIDIA driver.

1 Like

I have followed these instructions:

to compile and install NVIDIA drivers. All worked, however, when I installed KDE Desktop Environment, enabled “Wobble effect” compared nouveau and nvidia drivers performance I find nvidia causes extra fan noise, even when idle, and tearing when moving “wobble” windows. So I have switched back to nouveau as it performs better and fan is totally silent when idle.

PS: if you are buying this model, get a generic Intel Iris Xe Graphics 96 model and save some money @bankroll

2 Likes

I am about to pull the trigger and get one of these, and just want to confirm - when using the 6.1 kernel, everything except “hibernate” works as expected?

That is correct. Good choice!

What I was also pleasantly surprised with is that when I plugged in the second SSD, I was able to install Windows 11 on its hardware. Depending on an individual threat model, you might like this option of hassle free dual boot hitting F7 at start.

Also you can make Windows as a default boot, so if at the airport one asks you to turn it on, they see Windows booting.

This dual boot is a risk for some, because /boot partition can potentially be accessed from Windows 11 and tampered with. The only workaround is to disable Qubes SSD from BIOS if installed in the second slot.

Good point, you mentioned ditching the Nvidia GPU and saving some cash, did you find that the Laptop was still able to run an external monitor with the integrated graphics? I have two 4k screens and am curious.

I won’t be able to tell you that. How do I disable NVIDIA card completely to test it?

1 Like

Great thread! Moved to Hardware Issues since that’s where this kind of thread belongs.

2 Likes

Honestly, I am not sure. But one way or another I will have an answer in two weeks.

1 Like

I assume you are waiting for a delivery? :+1:

1 Like

Yes, it is in assembly so I should have an answer in the next 2 weeks. I will be sure to post to this thread with results!

1 Like

I can verify that the Infinitybook 14 pro gen 7 works wonderfully. I get the model without the 3050 and it runs my 5120 x 1440 monitor without a problem. Now if only the “suspend” issue could be resolved.

1 Like

excellent! Thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Kate,

is it possible to deactivate the Intel Management Engine (ME) on the Tuxedo Infinitybook? I have read that this should be possible via the bios.

Thanks in advance!