QubesOS freeze, crash and reboots

I have never had intel “fix” so probably that’s why I had so few crashes/freezes/logouts/reboots…
Thanks for the insight.

As per @taradiddles suggestion, reinstating the intel driver fix with the following option has also eliminated the crash/reboots for me so far:

Section “Device”
Identifier “Intel Graphics”
Driver “intel”
Option “AccelMethod” “UXA”
EndSection

2 Likes

I had that option enabled yesterday too and didn’t encounter a crash for 8+ hours - but it could just be luck. However my laptop then froze on suspend and I had to hard reset it - something I never encountered with fbdev.
If anyone does more tests and/or encounters issues please write (or PM) so that I can update the intel gfx troubleshooting doc accordingly…

I am one of those i3wm users who have experienced freezes in the past months, which resulted in a downscaling of my QubesOS usage.

Do you think using AwesomeWM or DWM with QubesOS help with this? Do these window managers require the (now commonplace) fix: I3 not working properly video/graphic issues - #4 by bungali

Because if I am understanding you correctly, you suggest that this fix put more pressure on intel CPU with graphics processing, which the old thinkpad x220 CPU has troubles with and freezes.

So, I wonder if using Awesome or DWM wouldn’t require that “fix” and thus would result in no-freezes.

This is nice to hear, but without that “intel” fix, you should be seeing graphical artefacts and tears on the screen. Do you see those? If so, do you think using AwesomeWM or DWM instead of i3wm result in no-tears/graphical glithces, but yet still a low-resource tiling manager use with Qubes?

AFAIK neither AwesomeWM nor DWM provide compositing so like i3wm you’d need to install a compositing manager. But more importantly, I don’t think AwesomeWM / DWM are supported by Qubes OS - eg. you won’t see the qubes’ window colors/labels which is a no-go for most security-conscious users.

Do these window managers require the (now commonplace) fix: I3 not working properly video/graphic issues - #4 by bungali

If you don’t install a compositing manager and you experience tearing, then yes (but then there’s a chance you’ll be hit by bugs/crashes in intel). If you have compositing then fbdev is OK.

To summarize, those are the two workarounds:

• fbdev (which is Qubes’ default) with compositing. i3wm users will have to install compton or picom (both are packaged in f32 so can be installed in dom0 as any other package). This should fix tearing (I have yet to read from a i3wm user with this fix - if you give it a try please send a PM or reply here).

• intel with “UXA” acceleration method instead of the the default, newer “SNA”. “UXA” fixes some crashes (like the one @qub411 had) but introduces others (eg. when suspending my T450s laptop). YMMV.

Because if I am understanding you correctly, you suggest that this fix put more pressure on intel CPU with graphics processing, which the old thinkpad x220 CPU has troubles with and freezes.

It’s a software bug - overloading your x220 (CPU and/or GFX) should only make your laptop sluggish, not trigger a crash. FWIW I’d expect the intel driver to be more efficient / less resource intensive than fbdev.

1 Like

Thanks for the overall reply.

One point I would like to ask: I don’t think I understand your point around “compositing.” When I installed i3wm, I don’t remember setting up a “compositor.” Does it get installed by itself, as a dependency to i3wm?

AwesomeWM is supported by Qubes1. DWM is supported thanks to @3o14r473 2

i3wm doesn’t provide a compositor like xfce/gnome/kde do (to enable fancy effects), so you’ll have to install a standalone compositing manager. An old i3wm faq mentions compton as compositing manager but there’s also picom (the last fork in a long chain). It seems it’s only a matter of running the manager alongside i3wm (or awesomewm or dwm for that matter).
Sorry, I’m not a i3wm user so I can’t be of more help - I got hit by the same bugs as i3wm users because I had disabled compositing in xfce to decrease bloat a long time ago before an update introduced tearing.

Oh, I stand corrected ; I’ll add those WMs to the troubleshooting doc.

2 Likes

“So, I wonder if using Awesome or DWM wouldn’t require that “fix” and thus would result in no-freezes.”

I don’t have issues with AwesomeWM so far.
Btw it was the first tiling WM to be supported in 3.2. I’m unsure about it’s future though as it will never support Wayland. It might work with XWayland, let’s see…

1 Like

Hey that’s cool to hear. I will be trying AwesomeWM soon.

Yes, but I’d certainly rather that than lose the ability to manage windows because of an infuriating crash bug.

1 Like

I’ve been off Qubes for a bit over a month now, how is everything looking?

@sven @enmus @unman has the situation changed at all or still intermittent crashing?

With me absolutely stable. But as I wrote, in all these months I had only very few crashes and freezes in a several days in a row, and one freeze a month ago.

Still the same here. In normal operations it’s pretty stable (two “unprovoked” freezes in total). However, updating is another story entirely. If there are actual updates (not dom0 but template) a freeze is almost guaranteed.

1 Like

Sad to say, nothing seems to have changed for me.
Still freezing , random qubes crash, and occasional Qubes restart.
The freeze/Qubes restart, almost always linked to qubes starting, (and
so definitely can be triggered by updating, or other salting.)

1 Like

Are you aware of any progress that’s being made behind the scenes, or is this not a priority at the moment? Seems like you’ve identified the trigger which is a good step forward.

@unman

1 Like

I had a total system freeze last night. I had left the machine running idle during the night. I was runnig awesomewm on it. And now, in the morning, I cannot wake it up from the i3lock—the OS is completely unresponsive to my keypresses. So, I think these freezes are independent of the type of window manager we are running.

What is this fb you are talking about?

for the record, this freeze has happened on a machine with the “intel fix” that many people (I included) do for fixing the visual glitches with i3wm. I had applied that “fix” for working with i3wm, and I then switched on the same setup to awesomewm. I might try next doing a clean install of qubesos and use awesomewm without the “intel fix” that using i3wm necessitates, and see if this type of freeze still occurs.

Nothing has changed for me. I’m on a Dell T5500 (original hardware with an SSD harddrive). I did no tweaks or any other deviation from the original install other then permissive mode for my Realtech PCI Ethernet controller.

I tried qubes 4.1.1 as well as 4.0.4 both gave the same results which are crashes, after something like 20 min of run-time. The crashes occur independent from the update manager and independent from the systems idle-level. They also occur directly after a fresh install…

In this state, the system is unusable