QubesOS freeze, crash and reboots

I agree that these three things are triggers for the crashing, however I’m not certain that it is the starting of VMs that is the issue because copying between VMs is something else that triggers it on my system.

I’m willing to help test, I don’t have the testing repositories enabled currently. For me the crashing that we are discussing in this thread does not occur in the base 4.1.0 iso without any updates applied.

That corresponds with symptoms observred by me. I was nearly to gave up using QubesOS since being up to date on 4.1, it was happening even few times a day.

I am experiencing nearly no freezes since updated dom0 to kernel-latest 5.18.16.

Can somebody explain to me these instructions for setting the kernel version?

My system is using UEFI, however this file does not seem to exist
/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg

I didn’t think GRUB and UEFI were mutually exclusive however the instructions read as if I should apply one or the other.

I’ve just had a small diagnosis breakthrough.

My workflow involves me doing lots of copying between qubes often of files 50+gb in size. Back when this first started happening the logs would always report the crashes as being due to overheating. However in playing around trying to recreate the overheating, I’ve gotten many crashes without any overheat log and with the temperature sensors visible I can see that the system was not overheating.

I’ll keep playing around, but it might be the case that I can now recreate these crashes on demand. Has anyone else encountered crashing doing large transfers between VMs?

1 Like

Thank you Sven.
I’m trying to pull together some sort of summary of user reports.

2 Likes

Some of the symptoms in this thread sound similar to the issues I have been experiencing over in Crash on dom0 kernel 5.15.57 - in case it helps with the summarisation. The crashy behavior occurs on 5.18, 19, and 20 (aka 6) (but not on 5.15 after .64) usually after suspend resume.

Thanks for the pointer.
Unfortunately, commonality of symptoms can mask different root causes.

unproductive, snarky remark

Well, good luck with that.

off-topic reaction to @Sven's unnecessary remark

This is wrong in so many ways…

confused comment

I’m @Confused. :rofl:

After some testing, I can confirm it is your nick :wink:

duplicate

forum logistics

Just in case three times isn’t enough, :rofl:

forum logistics

Sorry, this is super annoying. @fsflover split of those posts and moved them into a thread in “All Around Qubes”. However this was neither “off-topic” nor an discussion by itself and definitely nothing for “All Around Qubes”.

In the process of cleaning up duplicates where created. Give me a few minutes to clean up here.

1 Like

I have spent the last 2 days playing around trying to gain as much insight into what is the cause of the crashing on my system. Prior to applying the latest dom0 updates I could somewhat reliably recreate the crashes using the method mentioned above where I create a 50gb+ file and copy it between VMs. About 1 in 3 times this would work without crashing, but the other 2 the system would get very hot and eventually crash. What is a bit strange is that I don’t get a log entry stating that the system is overheating (which I was definitely getting a few months ago).

Fortunately the latest dom0 updates seem to have worked wonders on my system and I am no longer able to reproduce this crashing. The system is now able to regulate its temperature very well even when doing 300gb transfers. I will continue testing this over the next few days but this is a very positive sign, I haven’t been able to do a 300gb transfer in about 3 months.

1 Like

Stable or testing repositories?

I haven’t seen a freeze in days either (usually I see one right after writing this ;-).

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, which version of kernel & xen did you use? I wonder if the recent addition (+ revert) in VMs don't boot on 4Kn drive · Issue #7828 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub had anything to do with improved performance for larger file transfers.

Since last updates x230 no longer freeze :joy: in 4.1.1 stable here. Freeze happen past most frequent with updates. Other seem report same. No probs here today. Single x230 data point - user report only.

1 Like

Stable. That is good news, please keep me updated on whether you encounter one (I will do the same from my end). Based on what I’m hearing from others things are definitely looking up.

After the updates I ended up on kernel version 5.15.64-1 according to uname -r in dom0.

According to dnf list, my xen packages are 4.14.5-7. Is it ok to run dnf commands in dom0? I thought I read that everything had to go through qubes-dom0-update?

This is very good. Please continue to update this thread with whether or not you encounter crashes going forward. I’m still not ready to update my main system quite yet.

1 Like

Crashed again.

Same as usual, overheated during a large file copy.