Qubes VM Sluggish GUI Fix

Since I have plenty of ram (128GB) I thought it was weird that my VMs were kind of sluggish in terms of gui performance. I kicked up the minimum video ram to 1 GB using: “qvm-features dom0 gui-videoram-min 1024000”. This made the gui a lot smoother in VMs, but upon reboot of qubes; sys-usb, sys-net, sys-firewall and sys-whonix were having trouble putting their respective icons in the tray. sys-usb in particular was not putting the “mouse popup” on the screen after booting unless I disconnected the usb hub my mouse was connected to and then re-connecting it. I tried setting the VMs minimum ram to a level above the 1GB minimum video ram (set to 2GB initial ram size) and everything started running smooth.

If we consider formulae in

and

For example, if you expect to use a 1080p display and a 4k display side-by-side, that is (1920 + 3840) × 2160 × 4 / 1024 = 48600 , or slightly more than 48 MiB per qube.

on what premises you decided to give 2GB as a min?

My post was kind of confusing, to clarify:
1GB for min videoram
2GB for min VM ram.

I started to run into trouble with the 1GB min videoram setting when opening a lot of qubes, so I reduced it to 128MB. Seems to work okay with multiple qubes open so far. Maybe my GPU ram was filling up??

1 Like