[qubes-users] win7 seamless mode, teams, vmware

Hello,
I try to run Windows 7 in seamless mode at my Qubes. So far everything ist working great. I just have some problems with microsoft teams there. I only see a white screen and cannot login. If I install a normal Windows 7 HVM like in the description without Qubes Windows tools then it is running. Can u tell me what I can try to fix this? It will be good for my work, to run Teams in seamless mode, because then I don’t need to copy the file between vm’s and else. I even tried it with several Windows7 images, And I am only able to install a seamless Windows 7HVM via qvm-create-windows-qube.sh, because I don’t find how to activate the seamless mode in a Winodws 7 HVM. The Quibes documentary is not up to date at this section and said u can do this in the Qubes Manager, but there I cannot find this option.
Maybe there is a working solution via terminal? That will be really great, then I can try to install a fresh win7 hvm with my own Iso, where all the updates are integrated…Maybe this will work.:slight_smile:
Or ist it possible to run vmware on the qubes fedora or debian template? But I don’t think so, because at Debian I always get an error GNU C compiler 6.4.1 not found and at Fedora it install vmware, but while installing it started uninstalling and cannot finish the installation. But if this is possible it will be a solution, too and I am very thankful to hear how to fix that problem.:slight_smile:
Stay healthy, Best wishes and much thanks for ur support.

I found a solution how to get vmware starting in a debian 10 -template and choosing the right compiler.

cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source

tar xf vmmon.tar

tar xf vmnet.tar
cd vmmon-only

make

cd …/vmnet-only

make

cd …

mkdir /lib/modules/uname -r/misc

cp vmmon.o /lib/modules/uname -r/misc/vmmon.ko
cp vmnet.o /lib/modules/uname -r/misc/vmnet.ko

depmod -a
/etc/init.d/vmware restart

But it will be nice to know how to enable seamless mode in a Win7 HVM with a working microsoft teams,too.

I would rather use native Teams client.

However, regarding Win7 seamless mode (to which I am yet to give a try), is there a chance we will ever get rid of that ugly double window decorations? :slight_smile:

Alex Smirnoff:

I would rather use native Teams client.

However, regarding Win7 seamless mode (to which I am yet to give a try), is
there a chance we will ever get rid of that ugly double window decorations?
:slight_smile:

Hello,
I try to run Windows 7 in seamless mode at my Qubes.

From looking at the create qube script and the batch file it calls, it appears to do the following to enable seamless mode:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Invisible Things Lab\Qubes Tools\qga" /v SeamlessMode /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f