[qubes-users] Tor bridge/entry node/relay question

Hi!

I’ve been trying to set up a StandAlone Qube to run a tor bridge/entry node/relay, but have met with tons of trouble and it seems there’s basically no documentation on this. I’ve tried the instructions in this post, which allows for a working Tor connection, but doesn’t allow the Qube to see the wider Tor network (meaning that it’s essentially only my traffic over the bridge, which invalidates the purpose of running a bridge) and presumably has its own security issues. The error that indicates that this issue persists is the standard Tor, “Your server has not managed to confirm that its ORPort is reachable.”

I’ve tried the first and second section of this page to remedy - the first is included in the original instructions, the second was tried as I know relatively little about the network stack - but both failed. I also tried this, which I think is equivalent to the third section of the Qubes Firewall page. I tried qubes-expose-port both from the guest and from dom0. When run in dom0, it tells me I need to expose the physical networking device, as well, which I didn’t know how to do (so perhaps it would work when run properly from dom0).

Finally, I tried to follow the canonical Whonix instructions for this, but wasn’t able to get past the second step in the instructions (I was unable to get libvirt working, which I assume is a Qubes thing).

Anyone have experience doing this/advice?

• gray

'gray' via qubes-users:

I also tried [this](qvm-expose-port/qvm-expose-port at master · Osndok/qvm-expose-port · GitHub), which I think is equivalent to the third section of the Qubes Firewall page. I tried `qubes-expose-port` both from the guest and from dom0. When run in dom0, it tells me I need to expose the physical networking device, as well, which I didn't know how to do (so perhaps it would work when run properly from dom0).

The above should work if you are exposing ports on the standalone qube. Is it directly attached to sys-firewall? If not, it should be. Dom0 is not the right place; as you noted, it intentionally has no networking.